Chapter 15 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"I thought you'd never wake," she said and I reached out to caress her cheek.

"Sorry it took me a while to fall asleep," I told her as I tried to focus. Last night's events flooded back. My eyes softened. My Lacey with her beautiful eyes were fixed on me. I felt a weight had been lifted and for the first time in a while I felt true happiness.

"It's okay."

Her fingers reached up to touch my lips. My eyes were mesmerised by the action. I reached out and touch her hand and her eyes lifted to mine.

"I love you," I whispered feeling the emotion roll through me overwhelming.

"I love you too," she replied. The emotion I felt was mirrored in her eyes.

"I wish it could just be us today but I need to go find the doctor so we can get you discharged. We need to call your parents and let everyone know."

"Don't," she said putting her hand on my arm. "I don't want to tell them over the phone."

I frowned.

"I want to go home and tell them myself."

"When do you want to go home?" I asked, feeling slightly disappointed because I still had two weeks to go before I could leave.

"Soon." Her eyes searched mine. "I've put everyone I love through hell and I need to make things right."

I nodded. I understood even if I didn't like it.

"I'll speak to Trisha and organise you a flight home."

"Thank you."

Even though she would be leaving soon I would still have today with her and I didn't want to waste a minute of it.

It was a hours before she was discharged and we went back to the hotel. I led her into the hotel room with a arm around her shoulders.

"You know there's nothing wrong with me. You need to stop treating me like I'm going to break," she said in a light teasing note. She was right but I couldn't put into words the need to keep her safe.

At the sofa she sank down into the seat.

"I can't help that I want to take care of you," I told her, remaining by her side.

"I need you to relax." She reached out and caught my hand in here. "It's like you're anxious like something bad is going to happen."

"Sorry," I said, rubbing the back of my neck with my free hand. "It's been like a roller coaster the last few months and it's taking me some time to process that it's over."

Her eyes glistened and I sat down beside her.

"Don't cry," I told her.

She swallowed hard and brushed a tear that slid down her cheek.

"I feel horrible for what I put you through."

"It's not your fault you lost your memory." I brushed another tear that ran down her face. Wrapping my arms around her I pulled her close to me. "You can't blame yourself for stuff that wasn't your fault."

She wrapped her arms around my waist and released a deep emotional breath. After a few minutes of allowing ourselves to hold each other and just appreciate how much we'd both been through to get to this point.

"You need to call Sam," I said as I released her and got my phone out. I scrolled through my contacts and found his number.

"Thanks," she said taking my phone.

I gave her a quick kiss on her forehead before I took her overnight bag from the hospital and put it in her room.

"Yes, I'm fine," she said. "Don't worry the doctors checked me over and I'm fine."

I leaned against the doorway as I watched her.

"No, unfortunately I'm going home soon so I won't be able to do anymore sightseeing..." She paused. "Thank you Sam."

She ended the call looking a little sad.

"You okay?"

She nodded as she stood up and walked over to me, handing my phone back.

"I'm sad that I won't be able to do anymore sight seeing."

"There'll be time to do that," I assured her. "This won't be the last time."

She smiled up to me and I pulled her closer, my hands still holding her hips.

"Knowing that makes me feel better."

"Good. I need to have a shower." I released her and she stepped backward.

"Okay."

"I won't be long," I said before I disappeared into my room.

I got some clean clothes and went into my adjoining bathroom. While I stripped I thought about all the stuff we could do together. I smiled to myself, thinking of the promise I made to her about taking her out on a first date. We had so much to look forward to and I felt excited about the future held.