Chapter 12 - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"It's hard to explain when you don't remember everything," he began to explain. "Going through this with you have brought me to hell and back again."

I swallowed hard. He looked so vulnerable as his eyes held mine. In them was the same look from the photo of him leaving the hospital.

"Well this hasn't exactly been a walk in the park for me either," I snapped at him, crossing my arms.

He raked his hand through his hair.

"What do you want me to say?" he asked, holding his hands out.

Feeling my heart sear with pain I closed my eyes, not wanting to see his pained expression when I was hurting more.

"Harp," he said, closer than before. I opened my eyes and he was standing so close I could feel his breath against my face.

"I can't," I murmured unable to take the pain in my chest anymore. It felt like the pain was going to rip my heart in half.

I dropped my eyes to the base of his neck. Something shiny caught my eye. It was a necklace. Adonis never wore jewellery. Curiosity lifted my hand to his neck and he stilled. I reached for the necklace and pulled it out from under his shirt.

It was beautiful. A gold necklace with a harp as a pendant. A harp.

My fingers tips passed over the glittering stones. I felt something. Then it grew stronger. It was a tidal wave of love. Love for the boy in front of me.

I swayed and he caught me. Steering me to sit down I breathed in sharply trying to fight the feelings smothering me from the inside.

"Breathe Harp," Adonis instructed.

I pushed the breath out and then in again while my mind went crazy with one thought after the other. Why was he wearing a necklace with a harp pendant? Was it mine? I must have seen it before because the emotion it had unlocked in was something I'd never experienced before.

A few more breaths and I could breathe again.

"Why are you wearing that necklace?" I asked.

"It was yours." I watched as an array of different emotions passed over his features. "I gave it to you as an eighteenth birthday present."

It was mine.

"Can I see it again?" I asked. I'd felt a connection to it I couldn't explain.

His fingers went to the back of his neck and he undid the necklace before handing it to me.

"After the surgery when you didn't remember us I took it from your bedroom. I needed something to remind me of a time when it had been as simple as being in love."

I tightened my hand into a fist around the delicate jewellery. But nothing was simple anymore. It was so complicated I didn't know how to unravel it.

"I knew you wouldn't miss it." No, because I had no memory of it.

"Will you put it on for me?" I asked softly as I handed him the necklace back.

He took it from me and I turned my back to him and lifted my hair. He placed the necklace around my neck and fastened it.

I let go of my hair and touched my fingers to the pendant. I couldn't remember but it felt right hanging around my neck. It comforted me even though the boy who'd give it to me didn't want me anymore.

Feeling emotionally raw and tired I stood up.

"Where are you going?" he asked standing up beside me.

I turned to face him.

"I'm going to bed," I told him. "I'm tired."

"Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?" he asked looking to the now cold food.

I shook my head. Just as I reached my door he called out to me and I looked over my shoulder at him.

"I'm sorry," he said.

I wanted to say it was okay but it wasn't.

"It's not your fault," I said trying to ease his guilt. "Not all love is meant to last."

Inside my room I didn't bother to turn on the light, I didn't change my clothes either. Crawling into the bed I covered myself with the comforter trying to ease the shiver that passed through me.

I felt so alone. My hand wrapped around the harp and I tried to remember something from those emotions I'd felt earlier. But all I was left with was the dull pain in the middle of my chest.

Adonis didn't love me enough and no memory wasn't going to fill the emptiness I felt.