Chapter 9 - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"You remembered something." It was a statement. I ignored it as I tried to remember back to a memory where this had happened but I came up blank. It wasn't possible. I was so useless in the kitchen my parents had banned me for fear of me burning it down.

"Harp," he softly prompted and I looked at him sharply. Something had happened but I didn't know if I was remembering.

Feeling overwhelmed I closed my eyes for a moment. Hands reached for me and when I opened them Adonis steered me to sit in the closest chair.

"I don't know what happened," I felt the need to say to him. The look of hope was too much to tell him that I hadn't exactly remembered something.

It was more a familiar feeling in my subconscious. My eyes went back to the evidence that I had knowledge of something that hadn't happened in my memories.

Adonis knelt down in front of me. His eyes level with mine.

"Talk to me," he said.

"I can't cook. I don't know...how I made the pancakes," I began to explain. My hand going to my head again subconsciously. The peaceful feeling was gone with feeling of familiarity and all I was left with was a darkness. It was a feeling of loss.

"It's okay," Adonis soothed me. He pulled me close and I rested my head against his shoulder. His hand rubbed my back gently. After everything that had happened I should have pulled away from him but I didn't. I felt emotionally weak and I needed his support. I couldn't do this in my own.

Silence settled in the room as he continued to hug me and it made me feel a little better. Finally able to settle my racing emotions I moved out of his embrace.

"How are you feeling?" he asked softly as his eyes searched mine.

"I don't know," I replied.

I felt a little happiness at the fact that I had experienced something from the lost memories but there was also the fear that I had no control of getting them back.

"Do you want me to call the specialist?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"It's late. You can call him tomorrow."

"You sure?" he asked as he rose to his feet.

Feeling stronger I stood up and nodded my head.

"Yes."

"You want me to finish cooking the pancakes?," he offered and I laughed with no humor.

"You'll have to because I don't know how."

I took a seat by the counter and watched as he completed the task of making pancakes. I had hoped it would trigger something but nothing happened.

Feeling a little disheartened and disappointed that nothing was jogging my memory I decided to go to bed early. I needed time alone to work through my thoughts and to try and make sense of them.

"You sure you're okay?" Adonis asked when I told him I was going to bed. "You haven't eaten yet."

"I'm not hungry. I'm just tired."

I felt the heat of his gaze follow me out the kitchen.

That night I tossed and turned. It was so hard to get my mind to switch off for long enough for me to drift off to sleep. Eventually exhausted I fell into restless sleep that only lasted a couple of hours.

I snoozed the alarm the first time it went off. I was so tired and my eyes wouldn't open. The second time I snoozed the alarm I heard a knock at my door.

"Are you up?" Adonis asked, through the door.

"Mm," I replied not wanting to leave the warmth of my bed. I burrowed deeper pulling my pillow over my head.

I ignored the sound of the door opening.

"Harp. You need to get up," Adonis repeated and I groaned when he lifted the pillow off me. I rolled onto my side kept my back to him hoping he would leave me alone.

"Come on," he said more insistent as I felt him pull at my duvet.

"Just five more minutes," I told him, trying to convince myself I was actually going to get up.

"Come on," he said before he pulled the duvet off me despite my weak attempt to hold onto.

"Geez," I moaned as I opened my eyes and pinned him with a look that told him how close he was to being murdered.

He ignored me and pulled me up to sit.

"I'm up," I grumbled as I shoved his hands away. I tried to stifle a yawn.

"I'll make you coffee," he offered. He left the room and all I rubbed my tired eyes. The upside was I could sleep on the plane.

By the time I was dressed I was in serious need of a caffeine kick. Adonis set a cup of steaming brown liquid that smelled devine when I sat down by the kitchen counter.

"Thank you," I mumbled before I took my first sip.

Nerves knotted in my stomach as I finished my coffee.

"The driver will be here in ten minutes," he told me as he rinsed his cup of coffee.

I nodded my head. He left me alone and I let out a tired sigh. I was still so tired I struggled to handle my thoughts. A lot of things had happened over the last few days and it had been a lot to take in. I had no doubt that the next week was going to be just as eventful.