tony - cheating

"Y/N–"

"No," you say harshly, storming around the king-sized bed. You throw a pile of clothes into a bag, not caring what goes into it. You just need it to last a night or two. "No." It comes out softer this time, and you can feel you knees threatening to buckle, your composure slipping. "Till death do us part, Tony. That's what you said."

"To be fair, I never actually signed any –"

"It doesn't matter! You promised." Your voice breaks, because you can't believe this is happening to you. Again.

Tony is silent. He looks to the door, and for one horrifying second you think he might actually leave. He runs his hand against the back of his neck, shaking his head and then laughing at himself. You know all of Tony's ticks by now: that's what he does when he's feeling guilt. And self-loathing. Which, to be honest, is most of the time. "It was just a kiss. It didn't mean anything."

"No, Tony. You're wrong." You fight to finish the sentence through your tears, through the growing ache in your chest. A lacy pair of undergarments (the one you had been planning to wear for Tony on your anniversary) hangs limply from your fingers. "It meant everything."

You can both feel the words hanging there, suspended in the air. They suffocate you, clouding you. He knows what it meant – he knows. He just doesn't want to admit it.

"Y/N ... Please, I ... I lo –"

"Don't," you growl, turning around and throwing the pair of panties into the trash. Where they belong, you think. "Don't you dare say you love me. If you did, you wouldn't have shoved your tongue down some other woman's throat." Tony cringes at your words. You can see him folding in on himself, closing you off. Good. This is good. "Or you would have at least had the decency to dump me beforehand."

Tony's mouth parts, and he looks stricken. Like you've slapped him. "I don't – God, I don't want to dump you, I want to be with you."

"Then why?" You know your sobbing through your words. You don't particularly care.

Tony doesn't respond, and the silence is deafening.

"I'm leaving tonight," you say, slinging the bag across your shoulders and heading for the door.

"No, no no no no." Tony blocks your path, hands on your shoulders. You feel yourself tense under his touch, and from the expression on his face, he felt it too. "Just – please, just listen to me."

You can feel his eyes boring into your own, but you can't bring yourself to look at him. Instead, you look at the lamp on your bedside table. His, you remind yourself sharply. You don't share this room anymore.

"Y/N," Tony says desperately, hands tightening on your shoulders. "Please, just look at me."

"I can't," you breathe. "Every time I look at you, I feel sick."

Tony visibly deflates. It starts with his hands, as they loosen their grip on your shoulders, and then fall to his sides all together. Then his own shoulder's slump forward, and his eyes cast downwards to his feet. You want to feel satisfied that maybe, just maybe, you've hurt him a fraction as deep as he hurt you. But all you feel is empty.

"Good-bye, Tony," you whisper. He doesn't try to stop you as you step around him, walk out the door, and close it behind you. He doesn't stop you as you jog towards the entrance of the Avengers Facility. He doesn't stop you as your knees buckle, and you fall against the side of the building, trying desperately to get your breathing under control. You've been living here for three years, and dating Tony for half of that. This was your home. Was. You really had nowhere else to go, but you knew you couldn't stay here. Not with everyone asking questions, and Tony looking at you the way he was when you told him it was over.

Some small part of you thought he might follow you, and get you to stay. You thought maybe he would fight for you.

You were wrong.