Chapter 2: Heading Back

The sparing ring was outside, a carved circle in the stone behind the house. Two lines were carved and painted red in the middle of the large circle. Trees surrounded the courtyard ring sending colored leaves of red and orange falling to the ground. Two girls fought each other; back and forth they danced around the ring, locked in combat.

Adalyn ducked, dodging the kick then followed up with a sweep. Juno jumped over attempting to land on top of her pinning her to the ground. Adalyn dove backwards rolling up to a standing position then jumping forwards in a flying punch. Juno spun around bringing her leg in tight then shot it behind her towards Adalyn. She was pushed back by the kick momentarily but regained her balance. Juno threw off a volley of punches and random strikes of which Adalyn parried and blocked almost perfectly, she returned strikes in the small openings catching Juno once in the forehead knocking her back. She ran forward then suddenly brought her right leg up towards Juno's face, the momentum allowing her to flip backwards while kicking simultaneously. Juno anticipated the kick and sprung forward before Adalyn had time to recover, punching her stomach. She fell to the floor rolling twice before coming to a stop.

"You let your guard down."

"Obviously. Last round?"

"It's one to one so I guess this is the tie breaker."

Juno helped her up then walked back to the starting line.

"You ready?" Adalyn got into her fighting stance at the line. "The real question is, are you?" Juno smiled, "guess we'll find out."

*****

Samuel sat in a chair on the balcony; it overlooked the courtyard and sparring ring. A single folder sat affront him, numerous papers were spread about the table before him. Profiles and specifications of different people from the folder the commander had given him earlier in the day. He decided to go over them while the girls prepared breakfast, which was an hour ago and breakfast, had been served and cleaned. The two girls then went down to the sparring ring, preparing for their time back in the ENF in the coming days.

"Which one?" He held profiles in each hand, both very well but both were girls and he already had two in his team. He read the specifications aloud once more.

"Isabelle Vandal, strong and determined, funny and able to lighten a situation. Works well with others but tries to persuade her point. Specializes in silent movement and observation, medic. Weapon of choice, Genesis 50 ILPR sniper rifle (G50ILPR)."

"That could be useful, but what's ILPR?" He looked more on the page until he came to the end, in small letters it read. ILPR stands for Invisible Laser Pulse Round. "Interesting."

"Cassia Chase, gentle but fierce, determined and ready for a task. Fluid motions in hand to hand and works well with others. Specializes in hand-to-hand combat, quick movements, and speed. Weapon of choice, Laser Assault Rifle (LAR)."

"Hmm, I guess I'll go with Isabelle, we already have assault in our team." He placed her profile in a pile next to the other three profiles he chose.

"Well then, I'm all done." He gathered up the remaining profiles placing them back in the folder then picked up the chosen. "Isabelle Vandal, Chris Dill, Nathan Danger, and Kai Chen. All specialized in the need of our team."

*****

Juno jumped over a leg sweep from Adalyn then came down with a punch missing by inches. Adalyn jumped up while spinning bringing her leg in a back arch, aiming for Juno's head. She ducked rushing forward. Adalyn dodged her lunge by moving to one side; she came forward with a right hook but was blocked by Juno's hand. Juno grabbed her wrist bending it to the side with both hands. Adalyn waited until her arm would not move anymore without breaking then jumped up bringing her body over her hand releasing the strain it had taken, she then swept her leg behind Juno, sweeping her from the ground. Juno fell backwards crashing to the floor. Adalyn lunged forward about to tackle her. . . "Adalyn, Juno!"