Chapter 12

I spend the next few hours tracking Shane, stalking him to his pack. I have reached the clearing where all of the wolves are gathered, they laugh and chat oblivious to the threat hiding in the trees.

Me.

From the thick branches I look down on the creatures scanning for one in particular. I cannot see their alpha yet, and I am unsure of what I will do if I cannot find him.

I need to act before the attack comes tonight. That's what that Adelind said. I grip my hand to my knife, uncomfortable. Did she mean vampires? Are vampires going to attack the werewolves?

Suddenly my head starts to feel heavy, I am becoming more aware of how my actions will influence others. I see many innocent beings in the pack, women and children who have done nothing to harm others. Men who have done nothing but look after their families and do what they need to keep them safe.

I look down at my hands, holding a decision and scenario in each palm.

In my left, is the option of assassination. I hunt down the alpha and get him on his own. Then I confront him, say why I am here, and then challenge him to a fight. If I win, my vengeance is complete. But by this time there will not be enough time to find Shane and warn him about the attack on his people. At least in this scenario, I can finish what I started. Avenge my parents and respect the memory of my brother. Able would have wanted that.

In my right hand, is the option of compassion. I find Shane or Dan and warn them about the attack. Hopefully we would have time to save everyone before the attack. Then I would have to see what happens next. In this case, if I was to see the alpha I would not be able to attack him. I would be known by the pack, and killing their leader would turn them all against me. Turn them all against Shane, their next alpha in line. That would cause anarchy.

I drop my hands defeated and undecided, I look back into the crowd of werewolves. All of the lives on the ground depend on my actions. A part of me hates them all, wants them to die horribly like my parents did, wants them to suffer like Able did. Another part pities them, doesn't want them to go what I went through. Doesn't want to see anymore pain and suffering.

I look up at the sky as thunder roars through the murky, dark clouds. I close my eyes as heavy rain begins to fall, landing on my face.

Please, give me a sign.

I beg silently to the sky. I dont know who I am begging to, but I hope someone will hear me. I open my eyes and look back down to the ground, my eyes instantly fall upon Shane, who is standing in the middle of the crowd. The others run from the rain, taking shelter under a tree with thicker leaves than the others. Shane stands still and solitary, sniffing the air.

He has caught my scent.

My heart pounds as I stare at my mate, he looks around. Searching for me. I am about to shout out to him when I see a glimpse of white emerge into the clearing to my right.

My heart stops as I realise what I'm looking at.

The pure white wolf moves towards Shane, stopping in front of him. Shane falls to his knees in front of the alpha in respect. I feel as if I am going to throw up. The alpha speaks to Shane quietly, my ears unable to pick up the words. Shane nods in respect and the alpha walks to the rest of the pack and joins them in the shelter of the larger tree.

Shane lifts his head up and his eyes meet mine. His mouth opens slightly as he takes me in, crouching with my bow in a tree. Hair wet and slick against my face, clothing sticking to my skin. I lock my eyes with him and frown slightly, gently shaking my head. Shane starts running towards me. This is my last chance. I raise my bow and arrow, aiming it at the white wolf behind him. Shane can't see me, as he is below me at the foot of the tree.

There is no glory in this.

Says a voice from the back of my head.

This is not how you should win. Not by shooting the alpha with his back turned. Not in front of Shane. He shouldn't have to see his dad die, not like how you did.

I lower my weapon. Within a few seconds my mate is up in the tree with me, holding my face in his hands.

"Max, what are you doing here? What's going on?" I hold onto Shanes arms and suddenly everything weighs onto me and I feel like I'm about to break down and cry.

"There is going to be an attack, Shane. People are going to die." Shanes eyebrows raise in shock but he keeps quiet. "A woman told me, she has been protecting me for a long time. She told me to warn you, we need to help everyone else." I pause, looking down at the wolves and scanning for a familiar face. "Where's Dan?"

"Dan's on a hunt. Are you sure about this? If you are wrong, this would be bad, Max." I nod confidently.

"I'm sure, but will Dan be okay? Do you want me to find him?" Shane nods.

"Yes, go tell him what you told me. I'll warn the others." Shane leans forward and presses his lips to mine, kissing me gently. He pulls away and brushes a wet hair out of my face. "And be careful, Max."

I nod and scale quickly down the tree, vanishing into the bush looking for Dan.

I wish I had of gotten their sooner.