Chapter 1: Snowing in Memphis

It was snowing in Memphis - and although it only snowed about three inches a year, the freezing rain was still harsh and made you numb. Because of the slate, there were no cabs running so you had to walk to Elvis' house from where your friend, Gina, had dropped you off. Elvis offered to meet you there but you insisted you could manage - it wasn't that far and it was an easy walk, anyway.

Elvis' close friend, Joe, answerd the door. He hurried you in, out of the cold.
"Hi, again! We're all in the sitting room."

Elvis was holding a small gathering as his friends wouldn't be in Memphis for Christmas, so he was having them over for celebrations early. You stood in the doorframe quietly as you watched Elvis, who was sat like a little boy under the Christmas tree. It was a beautiful scene - fairy lights glinting; baubles of glowing red on the tree; and presents all gorgeously wrapped below; and to top it off: the familiar and unmistakable spices of gingerbread being made in the kitchen.

Elvis was busy talking to Red when he saw you across the room. As soon you caught his eye his boyish face lit up. He lept up from where he was sitting, beaming with cheeriness. With a small flutter of your fingers you waved at him, still stood in your winter coat in the doorway.

Elvis grasped you with his warmth and kissed you in little bursts all over your lips and cheeks; finishing with a prolonged, passionate kiss he planted on your lips. Elvis didn't care who was in the room and instead opted to show you off to everyone.
"Hi, Elvis!" You greeted.
"Hi Elvis?" He repeated. "That's all I get?" He kidded.
"All you're getting right now!" You teased, Elvis raising his eyebrows funnily.

He took your coat off, saying how cold you must've been and rubbing your arms to warm you up.

Lastly he took your hands inside of his, as though he was about to pray, and took them to his face to feel the cold of them.
"Jesus, baby - you've got hands like ice!" He laughed, before breathing hot air onto your hands to thaw them, while kissing your fingertips gently.

"It's so nice to see you, little darlin'." He declared in his usual southern drawl, and with a curl of his top lip he added:
"Come sit next to me." Elvis led you to where he was sat and gave you a cushion and small woolen blanket to wrap around yourself. You chatted with Elvis' friends while he was in the kitchen with some guests - you spoke with the usual suspects: you had met them all before now. It was such a comfortable atmosphere - Elvis had made you feel right at home.

For the rest of the evening, Elvis was focused on you.
"I missed you baby, did you miss me?" he would ask, knowing that you of course did. Enthralled with your presence, Elvis forgot all about the oven - but once one of his guests came into the room to remind him, it was too late.

"I've burnt the men!" Elvis laughed in the kitchen, the tray of black biscuits on the table. You could tell he was unfazed by the mishap. You wondered why the usual staff weren't here baking for him.
"I gave my cooks the week off before real Christmas starts and they have to cater Christmas dinner for me." Elvis clarified.
"I feel sorry for them, cooking up a feast fit for 10 men." You joked, noting Elvis' huge appetite, especially on Christmas - you'd expect.
Elvis laughed and pouted, jokingly, acting as though your teasing had hurt him.

Elvis joked about the burned biscuits for the rest of the night: bringing them in to the sitting room to show people; biting into them, saying they broke his teeth; and even throwing them at some of his friends - playfully, of course. You found it funny, as Elvis often asked for his food to be overdone to a crisp, and that's only how he'd eat it. Apparently that was not the case with gingerbread, though.

Elvis just lit up around his friends, but only had eyes for you - even in a crowded room. He then sat down very close to you; right by the tree, as the circle of friends talked amongst themselves - his voice became quiet and he spoke in baby talk to you. You used to dislike the way he'd intentionally put in a lispy, childish voice - but now you found it so endeering as he only ever spoke it to you (and his mother, of course). You always joined in with his games, eventually.
"Is my witty bit cold?" He asked, rhetorically. You giggled, charmed by his sweet ways. Interrupted by his friend, Dan, Elvis went back to his normal voice.
"Elvis, can I talk to you?" He grieved, quite seriously.
"Sure, Dan. Excuse me, baby." They both walked away, Dan's lingering smile making you feel slightly uneasy - but you had only met him once before, barely speaking to him even then, though - you didn't even remember his name until Elvis said it. Elvis left you sat under the tree, so you took the time to go to the bathroom.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen:

Elvis and Dan stood in the empty room without saying anything for some time. Dan finally broke the silence.
"How about that girl, Elvis." The mere thought of Elvis' love made him smile, he couldn't contain himself, like a child on Christmas Eve.
"She's great, ain't she?" Elvis dwelled at the thought of you, wondering why Dan brought it up.

"Yeah, Elvis she's really something." Dan said, enthusiastically. Elvis noted Dan's genuine interest in you, and didn't like it.
"What do you mean, really something?" He was defensive.
"Well, she just seems like the type of girl--." Elvis cut him off
"Excuse me?" He quipped, "She shouldn't seem like anything to you. - Don't think you know anything about what type of girl she is." Elvis stared into Dan's shocked, pale face.
"Why'd you call me in here, Dan?" He scowelled.
Dan explained, the best he could - but once Elvis went off a person, it was hard to get back on track, and Dan was headed in that direction.
"I didn't mean no offence by it, E, honest. She's friendly, that's all." 
"Not to you she's not." Elvis said, a little sore that Dan had got that impression.
"Elvis, I just wanted to ask if it was anything serious, man, that's all." Dan pressed, "I can tell by your tone that it sure as shit is." Dan had found his way back in, making Elvis smile.
"Yeah well, you lay off her, okay?" Elvis was now less confrontational.
"I promise I won't say a word to her." Dan assured him, the room calm again. The two hugged and returned back to the living room, Elvis still a little ticked off at Dan's insinuation.

Elvis saw you under the tree and headed straight towards you. "There's my present!" He held out his hands to lift you up to where he was standing and protectively held your hand in his.
"Hey, have you and Danny ever talked?" Elvis interrogated, slightly concerned.
"Who?" You replied, non-whimsically and dead pan. Elvis smiled, his teeth shining - happy that Danny was the last thing on your mind.

"I have something for you, baby." He winked and held your hand tightly as you followed him upstairs.