Chapter 27

Recap:

Sirena's smile drops, "I didn't want to leave the boys. Again."

Viviane sees the captain reach to hug her for a second before he pulls back. She smirks as she sees him decide to place a hand on her shoulder instead.

"You can still talk to them, lass. We'll get this sorted out somehow. Who knows, some of them may want to join my crew someday."

"You would let them join your crew? Even after all of the things they've done to you all?"

"They were following Pan's orders. Besides, they thought it was all good fun. If they visit you and decide to stay, they are more than welcome. I know they were like your brothers."

Tears of joy fall from Sirena's eyes. She pulls him into a hug. "That means a lot to me, Killian. Thank you."

He hugs her back. "You are very welcome, lass."

----------------------------

For the remainder of the day, Sirena stuck close to the captain as he gave her a tour of the ship. She didn't want a repeat of the events that occurred the last time she was left alone on the ship, even if she could hold her own against the pirates. As they walked through the decks of the ship, they explained what had happened while they were separated.

"They nearly gutted me when I walked in to see what was taking so long!" Hook exclaims as he recounts how he met the mermaid council.

"That was a foolish mistake, captain. They don't take kindly to strangers, especially pirates," she scolds with a teasing tone in her voice.

"I'm afraid you're right, lass. But enough about that, what do you say we go get something to eat? But no fighting with the men this time, savvy?"

"Why, captain, I would never! I am a proper lady, how dare you even suggest such a thing!" she says sarcastically.

"I apologize, milady," he returns with a low bow, making Sirena laugh. "I didn't mean to offend you, I beg your pardon."

"You are forgiven," she replies with a smile and pulls the captain upright again. "I could never stay mad at you," she whispers. Their eyes meet and Sirena sees that expression in his eyes again, accentuated by the kohl lining them. She unconsciously leans forward in an attempt to understand it, but the captain steps back and clears his throat.

"To the mess hall, milady?" he questions, holding out his arm for her.

"Yes, let's," she replies, taking his arm. She turns to the door and misses the smile that appears on the captain's face.

----------------------------

Night falls without another incident between the pirates and Sirena. There were some close calls, however. Some of the men wanted to finish what had been started to protect their pride. It seems they couldn't handle a woman besting them. Luckily, the captain kept his men in line. Now Sirena and Hook were on the bow of the ship, looking at the sea in silence.

Sirena suppresses a yawn, but the captain sees it out of the corner of his eye. "Are you tired, lass? It is getting late," he teases.

"I think you are the one that is tired, pirate. You are the one who brought it up."

"Well, I am going to get some rest. When you change your mind, my bed is yours. I will sleep on the floor again."

"No, I can't take your bed again. I can stay with Viviane," she protests.

"Have you seen her quarters? There is no room for her to sleep, much less you. I don't mind, Sirena. Captain's honor."

"Always the gentleman," she sighs but starts to walk to his cabin, yawning again.

"Of course, lass," he replies with a wink. "Or have you already forgotten?"

"I could never, good sir!" They enter the captain's quarters. Sirena stands at the window, watching the sun sink into the sea. The captain walks up behind her.

"I know you're scared to lose who you are. But your magic is only a part of you," he tries to comfort her.

"It's not my magic I'm afraid I'll lose, it's my tail. I can't be human, the sea is where I belong." she sighs, choking her tears down.

"The sea is my home, too, lass," he counters, turning her to face him. "And like your boys, you are more than welcome to join my crew. We can sail every sea in every realm together."

Sirena gives him a small smile and nods, "I'd like that, Killian."

He smiles back, "Let's get some sleep, lass. It will be a long day tomorrow for both of us."

"Goodnight, captain." Sirena lays down on the captain's bed as he rolls up his leather jacket like he did the last time.

"Goodnight, lass."