Chapter 16

Recap:

"I'm a tough girl, captain. I can handle myself. But thank you for your concern," she says with a smile. If anyone else was there, they might have been able to see the faint blush on the woman's cheeks. "Farewell, captain."

"Same to you, lass."

The mermaid hears nothing else from the pirate, so she dries off and puts the shell on a shelf where she could find it easily the next time. Gathering her things and taking one last, longing look at her special safe place, she sighs and dives into the pool. She knows she must return to the deception her life depends on.

---------------------------- 

Sirena walks through camp, waving to the boys as they dance around the fire. It had gotten dark while she was "swimming" and the nightly festivities had begun. Although she has many happy memories of the dancing and games at night, all Sirena wants to do is sleep. She greets the boys, but makes her way to her old hut, mentally rejecting the idea of sleeping in Pan's treehouse. She pushes the door open and immediately coughs from the dust that greets her. Apparently, no one had been in the hut since she left. Sighing in annoyance, she begins dusting, knowing that she won't be able to sleep unless the room is cleaner. To help pass the time as she cleans, she starts humming to herself, then starts singing.

"Dancing bears, painted wings, things I almost remember and a song someone sings once upon a December. Someone holds me safe and warm, horses prance through a silver storm, figures dancing gracefully across my memory." She stops singing to hum the choir part to herself, spinning and dancing by herself as she tidies the room. "Someone holds me safe and warm, horses prance through a silver storm, figures dancing gracefully across my memory. Far away, long ago, glowing dim as an ember, things my heart used to know, things it yearns to remember. And a song someone sings once upon a December."

She repeats the melody, humming this time, then she hears something at the door. "It's not nice to spy, you know? Come on out," she says in a playfully scolding voice.

The door opens to reveal the spy. "You never told us you sang, dearie," Pan replies in a sly voice, leaning on the doorframe.

She huffs, "I'm a mermaid, Pan. We all sing, that's how most of our spells work. Now, why were you listening at the door like a creep?"

"I'm not a creep, I only wanted to hear the rest of the song. You would've stopped singing if I came in," he defends.

She rolls her eyes, "Whatever, Pan. Why are you here anyway? Shouldn't you be playing your pipe for the boys?"

"Yes, but I heard you came back and wanted to know if you were okay. I thought you'd be in the treehouse, not here," he explains, sounding confused.

"I was swimming. It's not dangerous for a mermaid to swim, okay? And why would I stay in your treehouse when I have my own hut?" He looks at the ground. If Sirena didn't know any better, she would say he looked hurt. "What? You can't honestly expect things to go back to the way things were."

"And why not?" he screams in anger. "What did I ever do to you, Rena?" He walks towards her, his voice soft. "Once we started to truly know each other, I never did anything to hurt you. Then one day, you up and leave. Not even a word to explain why. I try to talk to you every day, but all I see in your eyes now is hate. Why do you hate me, Rena? What did I do?" He is right in front of her now and places a hand on her cheek, trying to meet her eyes.

Her eyes fall to the floor, trying to find an answer that doesn't involve his plan to steal her magic. "I opened my eyes, that's all. I was a young girl, naive, alone. All I wanted was a friend, but that didn't seem to be enough for you. I realized that the day I left. I thought if I left and shut you out, you would leave me alone, but that didn't work." She forces tears to her eyes as she looks into his, "I only wanted my best friend back. I felt used by you."

He places his hands on her arms gently, "Rena, I would never use you. I-" He stops himself, then shakes his head and continues. "No, you need to know this: I love you, Sirena. And I will do everything I can to prove it to you."

Sirena stands still, shellshocked. Never in a million years could she have thought Pan would say those words to anyone, let alone her. If he really means it, this changes everything, the plan and everything else. "What do I do now?" she thinks to herself.

AN: OH NO!! What's she gonna do? Does Pan really love her, or is he just trying to use her for her magic? Who knows? Lemme know what you want to see happen!