Chapter 2: Demotion

Start from the beginning

"Follow me" my guardian said walking out of the class. I looked at my teacher and she waved goodbye at me. Immediately a sick feeling erupted from the pit of my stomach. It felt like the final goodbye. She wasn't even smiling. I looked at Esther and told her goodbye before leaving the class under the stares of my classmates.

I followed her down the steps and through the rolls of classes until she stopped at Dara's class. I stood out the door waiting for her to call Dara out also. Several things began to run through my mind. Was my dad back already and expecting us home ? Were we having a church programme now ?

"Come inside" she signalled to me when she noticed i wasn't following her anymore. I followed meekly behind and saw Dara look at me with that same confused look i have on. I shrugged in response to her silent question. My guardian also spoke to her teacher in whispers and i could see Dara also try to read their lips closely. I giggled at that same familiar gesture drawing both of their attention.

The next thing i felt was an hammering thunderous pain from my head before i realized my guardian had knocked me with her devilish ring. I was unsure whether to cover my mouth from crying out from the lingering pain or hold onto my head to suppress it. I later chose the latter causing me to cry out in pain which angered her more.

"Oh, so you want to cry now abi ? " i shook my head frantically as tears poured down my eyes which i tried cleaning instantly with the back of my hand.

"Give me your cane" She ordered the teacher who gladly obliged her. I began shaking from my toes. "I...im....n..n..ot cry....in..g" I pleaded tearfully.

Weeeeew ! weeeeew !

Two lashes landed on my back and shoulders. I cant explain how my legs gained speed out of the class wailing. I hid behind the door to avoid being followed. I thought i have gotten away with it till i heard her voice threaten from the class "I'll count till three for you to come inside if not.."

I dragged myself reluctantly into the class and stood at the doorway. I bowed myself shamefully avoiding the faces of the students. I had heard them laughing as i ran out, i cant bear to see them right now.

My guardian must have decided to ignore me as she began to speak, probably to the class. "Ruth will be joining your class starting from today". My head sprang up. What ?. Why will she bring me from primary two to join nursery 2. I became confused and perplexed. I had passed through this class and this is Dara's class not mine. She had repeated the class twice now.

I forced my lips to speak but they were determined to stay shut probably out of fear of beating or that i wasn't meant to question others decision. "come and sit here" a soft voice beckoned me and i looked at the girl who said it. She had a smile on her face and patted the chair beside her. I clutched my bag to my chest as i slid onto the chair she patted.

"My name is Marie. What is your name ? "

I looked at her but couldn't respond as i was still in shock. I miss my class. I miss Esther. What did i do wrong this time ? . I know i didn't fail because my mummy commended me when i showed her my result in church. I got all my questions right in class. Silent tears welled up and i placed my head on the table unaware of when my guardian left.

I heard a loud tap on the table and raised my head. I had cried myself to sleep. I looked up and saw my new teacher in front of me. I realized it wasn't a dream. "You cant sleep in my class okay ? ". I nodded.

I was absent minded through the classes and had to be beaten at intervals to make me concentrate. Marie tried talking to me severally but i ignored her. I rather prefer to sulk than talk.

The final bell rang and i didn't know whether to be happy or sad. I was going home, my dad is around and school also sounded like hell to me right now. I went straight to my now former class and met Esther at the doorway coming out.

"Where did you go ? "she asked innocently.

"I'm not in your class again ? " I replied sadly

"Im now in Dara's class"

"Nursery 2? Why ? " Esther is such a sharp minded girl and i loved her for it. She also had a way of consoling me in an elderly way. She got into school late making her the oldest by 3 years in the class. I saw her as my elder sister.

"I don't know. mama told me to stay there" i responded. Mama is the general name we call her at home but i use It also when talking to Esther.

She pointed at a fresh open wound on my neck "Who beat you ? "

I hadn't notice it myself though it was small. I touched it myself and felt it. It was a small cut. I removed my hand and she exclaimed. "Ah ! Blood". She quickly dropped her basket and opened her school bag. She drew out her hanky and quickly helped me wipe it showing me the dark red stain on the hanky when she was done. She hugged me and consoled me."sorry". I nodded.

Kingsley came running towards us "Ruth let's go. The school bus is leaving" . I hurriedly bid her goodbye as i ran after him to the school bus. The bus was almost filled when i got there and i looked around for Nifemi who was already struggling to come and meet me. I sat down and carried him before beginning my motherly ritual of going through his flask. I saw that he didn't finish his food and started feeding him as the bus moved.

"Why did mama bring you to my class ? " Dara eventually asked when every other occupant had gotten down and the bus was not crowded anymore.

"I dont know. " i blankly said.

"I dont want you in my class o"

"i want to go back to my class" i said also to no one in particular.

"Tell your mummy to tell mama to take her back" Martin suggested relieving us for a bit. We both sat in silence anticipating the result we will get at home.

"Daddy is at home" Kingsley began bouncing joyfully infecting both Dara and Charles with his joy and soon they were chattering about several things they are going to do with him as Martins and i looked on in silence.

We got home soon enough and the three of them jumped out and ran towards mama's residence to greet my dad since that Is where is room is. Martins and I slowly walked into the living room and saw them already seated on his lap. We went forward and i knelt down while Martins prostrated.

"Do you like your new class ? " He asked me. I looked at him in rage. So he knows about it ?. Just then my step mum also came in. She gave me a look that said if i talked i will be dead. That confused me more. Doesn't he know ?

"I heard you have been promoted. Do you like that ? ". I looked at my step mum again and her eyes flashed warning. I swallowed and began to play with the hem of my wear.

Note: it is a cold night today. I hope this made ur day. Reading a novel under the duvet is a cool feeling. Ive been there. Thanks for reading. Await the next chapter.

Vote and comment please.