✍Chapter Twenty-two✍

Start from the beginning

"Obviously," Kikelomo said coming into the dinning room with a big smile on her face.

"I loved the cars! They were like voom and then like wham and then..." Kike interrupted her baby brother by placing her palm on his lips to stop his nonsensical chattering.

"Why are you holding this?" Nifemi queried when she noticed the ice cream bowl in her daughter's hands.

Kemi's mind drifted off when the moment Nifemi started to give her kids a lecture on 'Sugary substances and it's consequences'. She wondered if she had done the right thing by pushing Nnamdi away for the past few weeks. He had come to her house on the 28th of December for the first time and it was already January 12th. In the space of two weeks, he had visited her five times each time she had not been willing to see him not to talk of hearing him out. Kemi's mother had given up on trying to convince her and let her be saying that Kemi was old enough to make her own decisions.

Just yesterday, she had told Ahmed not to allow Nnamdi into the compound as his incessant visits were beginning to dampen her resolve. For the umpteenth time, Kemi wondered if she was doing the right thing by letting go.

"...don't you think so?" Nifemi said cutting into her thoughts.

"Huh?" Apparently, Kemi had not heard a bit of what Nifemi said. Nifemi eyed her and repeated herself.

"I said that they can eat half and leave the rest for the both of us!"

"Oh! Okay, Kikelomo grab cups and scoop some ice cream for you and your brother."

"Okay!" The kids squealed in unison.

"I'm using the SpongeBob cup!" Tobi yelled running after his sister.

"Who is dragging it with you?" Kike grumbled placing the cups on the dinning.

"Kemi I'm here if you need to talk." Nifemi patted the space beside her on the sofa.

"Why do you think I need to talk?!" Kemi snapped.

"Look at you, you've been walking around like a bag of chips recently."

Kemi chuckled, "I don't think chips walk."

"My point exactly!" Nifemi retorted rolling her eyes. "If pushing Nnamdi away makes you feel this way, why not give him a chance and see if it makes you feel any better. Life is all about risks y'know."

"What of if I don't want to take a risk?" Kemi queried, her voice raising up a notch.

"If you want to have a failed relationship you don't take risks. Or maybe you're just a coward," Nifemi said lightly.

"Am I, Oluwanifemi? Did you just call me a coward? First my mom, then Adaeze now you? I understand my mother but you and Ada I don't know who you guys think you are advising me about my 'love life'. I mean you two practically failed when it came to your love life. Take you for example you don't even have a man in your life. Hell, your kids aren't from the same man and you sit down comfortably and advise me about mine saying that I'm a coward. If anyone has a failed relationship it's you Nifemi, you and not me."

Nifemi exhaled sharply. "You see that's the point! We don't want you to end up like us! Why do you think that we tried so hard to bring you two together huh? I know I failed in my relationships, I practically failed everyone I've ever come across in my life! I failed everyone but you don't have to rub it in my face."

"Nifemi I'm..."

"Stop!" Nife said raising up her hands. "Just don't give me any stupid apology, I don't want to hear it. You let your selfishness cloud your judgement and sense of reasoning. Five years ago I wished for a friend that would go all out to make me happy, you have not one but several yet you think they're bothering you and shouldn't interfere in your love life. It's fine by me." Nifemi closed her eyes briefly trying to stop the tears that threatened to fall. "At least I know what you think of me," she said in a whisper.