IV. Butterflies in a Frenzy

*EDITED

_________________________________________________

Stubborn Hearts:

IV.   Butterflies in a Frenzy

AMANDA

 I ran my hands through my hair continuously, frustrated to the point of shoving the book to the floor but even that won't help into figuring out this stupid math question. I lifted my head only to scan the classroom, watching as every student in here were too deep into solving the questions in the pop quiz which I wasn't ready for. I chewed on my pencil--a worse habit my mother tried to break me out of--but I groaned in frustration.

"Can't solve it?" A quiet voice whispered.

I glanced at the brunette who sat beside me, smiling at me sweetly. I smiled back, knowing my distress could be seen on my miserable face. 

"I suck at Math," I grumbled, hearing a soft giggle escape from the girl's lips.

"Just this once and next time," the girl begun to solve the math questions while I gawk at the quickness of her hand scribbling on my paper, "study."

I chuckled, nodding quickly, "Thank you so much!" I grinned, gazing back at those hazel eyes that belonged to this girl.

She was pretty. Her autumn hair was pulled back into a fishtail as it fell over her shoulder. She wore light make-up on her caramel skin. Smoothing out her white cotton dress, the girl smiled at me once more before getting out of her seat and handing her quiz to the teacher. Her boots clapped against the floor as she tugged the sleeves of her indigo cardigan, nervously, while the teacher scored her quiz.

I glanced down at my quiz, writing my name down as I waited until more students piled behind the girl, not making it obvious that I cheated.

Tapping my pencil against the desk, I gazed out the window, seeing the way the girls in their Gym clothes ran on the track field. Some were walking while the rest kept jogging. There was one girl who caught my attention. The way that turquoise Mohawk bobbed as she ran. Long, tanned legs moving with ease as tattoos shimmered underneath the sun's light. She kept rolling her sleeves up to her shoulders, letting her tattoos be gawked at by others. She seemed careless to other people's thoughts. Unaware of the glances she received nor the whispering girls she ran past.

She reminded me of my cousin, Marcy.

How she walk through the streets without a care in her flamboyant outfits. With her dad being the CEO of Langston Construction, Marcy would spend money like crazy. Letting others idolize her seasonal style with expensive clothing and accessories. It was a waste of money, if you ask me but Marcy didn't care. She was a spoiled brat and lived her life only making herself happy.

"Aren't you going to turn it in?"

I looked back at the brunette girl who encouraged me with a smile who had returned to her seat.  I quickly took my quiz to the teacher. I chewed on left snakebite, nervously, hoping he didn't recognize the same answers as the other girl. The sound of a grunt made my heart pound against my chest as Mr. Harding looked up at me through his metal rimmed glasses, those piercing blue eyes burning holes into my own, probably seeing the fear of getting caught in them.

"You didn't cheat, did you?"

YES! I wanted to confess but I shook my head, not trusting my coward voice.

"You did good, Miss Langston," he said, marking my quiz with a big, red ‘A’ on it.

I squealed in joy mentally as I walked back to my seat where the girl was reading a book.