Clear Liquor and Cloudy Eyes

*Greg*

I yawned, stretched and opened my eyes, glancing over towards the alarm clock on the bedside table, letting my eyes adjust and allowing the red numbers to form clearly. 17:03. A hour later than I expected to wake up. Miks had promised to wake me up as soon as she got in from the court and in Las Vegas, most court sessions end at 4pm--and Miki shouldn‘t have even been the last one up there today.

I climbed from the bed and made my way to the door, noticing Miki's suit folded neatly on the chair in the corner. She had already been home?

Panic began to fill my mind. She wasn't home, she hadn't woken me up, she couldn't be at court and there was a gang in the city that was possibly after her blood. I grabbed the phone and speed dialled her cell. I waited for the ring, rolling my eyes when the Teenage Wasteland tune echoed from the kitchen. I followed the tune and picked up her cell, noticing three missed calls on the screen. The latest one from me, the second from her mom and the third from Nick.

Her mom, maybe she was there! Miks had already put the number onto my speed dial in case of an emergency. Again, I waited for the ring and begged that she was there.

"Hello?" The sound of the old Japanese lady made my heart rate increase.

"Hey Mikito, it's Greg Sanders here, Miks boyfriend?" I had a sudden flashback to when Mikito almost ripped me a new one in the garden that time.

"Ah, yes Greg, and how are you?" She seemed quite friendly towards me now, which could quite possibly make this a whole lot easier.

"I'm doing well, but I was just wondering if Miks was there?" I asked, hoping to hear a 'yes'

"She was this afternoon when she brought her mother back from court. She left a few minutes later complaining about her suit. Said she wanted to get changed."

"When was that?"

"Around 2pm. Is everything alright Greg?"

"Yeah, I just needed to speak to her about some work related stuff and her cell is in the kitchen. I thought she might be at your place." I lied.

"Well if she stops by again I'll let her know to call. Bye for now Greg," She bought the lie.

"Bye Mikito."

I hung up the phone and leaned back against the wall, trying to think of any other places she might be. I dialled Nick's number and waited for him to pick up.

"Hi Greg. What's up?"

"You called Miks before, right?"

"Yeah I did, only to see how the first day of the trial went for her though, why?"

"Did she call you back?"

"No. Greg, what is going on?"

"She was supposed to wake me up after court but she never and then when I woke up, her suit and cell are here, but she isn't. She's not at her mom's place either and with the fact that she‘s supposed to be here for her safety doesn‘t exactly settle my nerves any." I told him, the words flying out of my mouth in a panicked frenzy.

"Oh God, where else might she be?"

"I have no idea. Her car is even in the parking lot, so she's not drove herself anywhere." I said, as I saw the VW Beetle sitting neatly next to my own beat up car.

"Okay, I'm going to call the others and we'll be at your place asap. Don't panic Greg. Miki can look after herself; she's a strong girl who can pack a punch." Nick said and I could hear him grabbing his jacket and keys in the background.