Well That's What I Said

“A nightclub?” I asked, quirking an eyebrow and looking at Greg with a highly bemused expression.

“It’s more of a…loud music bar.” He said, grinning madly at me as he locked his car up.

“Greg, it’s the morning.”

“So? Technically, we run on a different clock to the rest of the city. This is our evening. Come on, a few drinks and then we can head home and get some shut eye for a few hours.”

It was tempting, and I couldn’t remember the last time that I’d just ‘chilled out’ with anyone like this…

“Fine.”

A few tequila shots later and I was more than chilled. This was ridiculous. I should’ve been in bed, yet I was sat at a bar with a Greg who was still sober…somehow. Clearly, I was more of a lightweight than I recalled and the challenge of shots had hit me harder than I anticipated.

Another song blasted from the jukebox and I danced as best as my poor coordination would allow me too on the swivel stool that I was only just managing to stay on. “Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick, the one that makes me scream she says!”

Greg laughed, putting his arm around me to steady me when I almost plummeted from the stool. “I think you’ve drank a little too much. You’re trashed.” He said, chuckling softly.

“And whose fault is that? Yours, darling Greggo.” I slurred, trying to flick his nose but hitting his cheekbone instead.

“I think we better get you home so you can sleep it off. Come on.” He hauled me from the stool and led me from the bar, guiding me slowly to his car.

“Spoil my fun then. Wait, what about my baby?” I pointed to the green VW Beetle that I cherished more than any other material possession.

“I’ll get it back to your apartment before you’re due in work. I promise.” He pushed me into the passenger seat before I could protest.

After I slurred my address to him, I spent the rest of the journey trying not to throw up. The rough roads of Vegas had never been more cruel to me and I was relieved when he finally came to a stop outside the narrow, but tall building where my apartment was.

Extracting the keys from my bag, Greg guided me up three flights of stairs to the shiny red door, pushing the key into the lock and kicking the door open with his foot, his other arm keeping me upright.

“Get into bed.”

“You’re not going to take advantage of me are you, Greggo?” I feigned shock, but who knows what expression I was actually pulling.

“No, I’m trying to make sure I don’t have to pull you through tonight’s shift.” He propped me up against a wall and moved into the kitchen where I heard him routing through cupboards, the doors slamming shut when he was done.

Greg emerged with a bucket and then looked around before using his arm to lead me to my own bedroom, gently pushing me on the bed and placing the plastic bucket next to the table by the pillow. “Just in case. Don’t want you ruining the laminate.” He lifted my head and slid the pillow beneath it. I was clearly on the way to sleeping, my eyes barely open, limbs heavy as lead. “I’ll see you in the lab, Miki.” He said and the last thing I remembered was a soft chuckle as the front door closed over.

The shrill ring of the phone snapped me to life and my head whirled faster than the teacup ride. I fumbled on the table for the handset, my eyes shut tight as I tried to fight away the bongo drums that were pounding against my skull.

“What?” I asked groggily, face planting the pillow.

“Morning Sunshine!”

“Greg!” I moaned angrily, wishing he’d let me sleep after he kept me up half of the day in a bar. Who the hell even does that?

“I just thought I’d give you a wake up call.” His cheery voice was grating on me and I wanted to punch something.

“I’m going to kill you.”

“I didn’t do anything! It was Nick!”

“No, it was you who let me get trashed.”

“I know. It was so funny!” I could hear the cheeky grin as he spoke.

“Maybe for you, but we have work in-” I paused to look at my watch, but everything was just a blur.

“Three hours.” Greg answered for me.

“What?!” I almost leapt from the bed, instantly regretting it when the tornado in my head sprung back to life and the lump in my throat threatened to spew from my lips.

“Yeah, I had a feeling you’d still be asleep. Thus, the wake up call. Plus, this is really good blackmail for work.”

“I swear to God, I am going to seriously damage your ability to reproduce.” I mumbled, rubbing my temples to try and soothe my head.

“I suggest some painkillers, a shower and a nice fry up. Bye!” He hung up the phone, his cheery voice still echoing down the dial tone. I threw the sheets to one side and swung myself over the side of the bed, startled when my foot landed on something that wasn't carpeted floor. I looked down and sighed when I saw the green bucket attached to my left leg.

I walked into the locker room and winced as Warrick slammed his locker shut, turning around and smirking when he saw me.

"Hey Miki. Have fun after breakfast?"

"Tons." I replied carefully opening my locker door and pulling out some hair bands and a brush. I may not have felt it, but I could at least try to look alive.

"Yeah, Greg's been telling almost everyone in the lab about how you-and I quote-"Stumbled out of the bar and nearly stumbled into his pants."-end quote." Warrick said, flipping the badge in his hand round and round as he spoke.

"What?!" I spun around and my head immediately regretted it; the whirlwind of the hangover threatening to send me crashing to the ground.

"Actually, I'll be honest. He only said that to me and Nick for a joke." I looked at him with a confused expression. “Don’t ask. I couldn’t even begin to explain.”

"So he's not mentioned anything other than stupid lies?"

"No, he did tell everyone though how you were completely trashed and didn't even know where you were walking."

"Now that much is true." I mumbled, shrugging at the reflection of my messy pigtails and moving to cover up the dark circles under my eyes.

"He said you had fun though."

"Also true."

"Well that's the main thing here. As long as we break away and have fun occasionally, all is good. It just helps if we pass on the hangover."

The door opened and Sara walked in.

"Hey little miss party girl." She teased.

"Eurgh." I sat down and rubbed my temples.

"Hangover?" She asked.

"Not really anymore, just a headache, but it's fading now."

"You taken something for it?"

"Yeah, I took some tablets before I left my apartment."

"Keep the florescent lights off in the lab is the best thing I can suggest." She told me with a soft smile.

"Then Greg might get ideas." Warrick joked before leaving the room.

Sara laughed softly and rubbed my back as I stayed hunched over on the bench.

"Greg is definitely getting a kick out of this." She told me.

"He'll definitely be getting a kick out of me soon." I replied before taking a deep breath and forcing myself back up onto my feet.