Our Broken Hearts and Twisted Minds

"It's all in the frills." I heard Mikito say, her voice echoing as I walked into the large Japanese house. I smiled and walked towards the dressmaking room where she worked with my mom, swinging my old keys around my slender fingers.

"Heyhey!" I smiled as I moved the deep blue curtain back and let myself into the room.

"Moon child!" Mikito cried jumping up and coming to hug me.

"Mikito! I hope I'm not disturbing your work." I smiled up at the tall and slim woman.

"Never! I've always got time for you! I'm afraid your mother is out working. We've got a wedding on our hands at the moment and the bride wants alterations almost every five minutes." Mikito told me.

"That's why I'm so glad I don't have to plan a wedding." I laughed taking a seat on a plush velvet chair.

"One day you will moon child."

"Ha, I doubt it Miki. Work is going to have me fully occupied."

"Who says you won't fall in love at work?"

"One of the main rules we have to follow!" I told her with a laugh.

"When you were sixteen and broke your curfew I clearly remember you saying 'rules are made to be broken'. Now what's changed since then?"

"I'm nearly ten years older!"

"So? You're still the same girl, just with her own apartment and a career." Mikito shrugged, sewing some beads onto her current work.

"You're as bad as my mom." I said shaking my head and looking at some designs on the table.

"I just want to see you happy." Mikito shrugged.

"I don't need a guy to make me happy." I looked at her with a smirk. “What is this? The sixteenth century?”

"I know, it's just that...I was talking to Anthony the other day and he said that he saw you the other night with a young man. He also said that you looked really happy...and really drunk." Mikito raised an eyebrow at me, reminding me scarily of Grissom.

"It was my welcome party from the team. We'd been for a meal for breakfast and then me and Greg--who is the guy Anthony saw and who is my work partner most of the time--went to a club to have a few more drinks. I got too into it and drank [i]way[/i] too much, but nothing is going on between me and any of the guys! They're just good friends." I explained.

"How many times has a young girl said that?" Mikito smirked as she skilfully tied a small ribbon around the waistband of the dress.

"Well this young girl means it."

"And how many times has a young girl said that?" Mikito's smirk grew.

"Urasai!"

"Doushite?" Mikto smiled.

"Eurgh!" I groaned.

I was about to give her a long winded Japanese explanation when my cell rang and the screen flashed 'Greg'. I groaned again and answered it.

"Don't you dare!" I warned him.

"Good afternoon to you too!"

"If you dare tell me that we're needed in work then I'll...I’ll karate your ass into the next life."

"Thank God I'm not about to tell you anything remotely connected to work then."

"Okay, then what?"

"Are you always this snappy on the phone? Do you need more sleep? Did I wake you again?" 

"No to all three."

"Aha, well then I will let you know why I called...I'm bored."

"And how do you know I'm not busy?"

"Because I have an amazing psychic ability."

"And an ego the size of Nevada."

"Hey! Fine, your Facebook told me."

"Bye Greg." I smiled and rolled my eyes.

"What?! Eurgh! Fine! But we're finishing this later!"

"And I can't wait to win it." I smirked before hanging up.

"Let me know when the wedding is." Mikito smiled hanging her new creation on a rail and admiring it with a scrutinising eye.

"There is nothing going on!" I laughed shaking my head.

"I believe you."

"No you don't." I narrowed my eyes and looked at her.

"Then why do you keep trying to change my mind?"

"Forget it! Look I have to go. I have work soon and I need to get ready. Tell my mom I called in and I'll probably be back again sometime soon."

"Oh, don't forget your mother's birthday party on Saturday! Semi-formal occasion remember! And bring some friends! It’d be nice to meet these ‘guys’ you work with." Miki said.

"Only if you promise not to harass the male ones."

"Okay then I won't. Don't stay away too long Moon child." Mikito said hugging me before I let myself out of the herb scented house.