Adjustments

They were in the living area of the flat. It was not very large and had an open concept to the kitchen. The only thing separating the two rooms was the eat -in bar with its two stools. The living space was just large enough for a couch and a chair with a low coffee table in the middle. Against one wall was a large wooden bookshelf with a few books, curios and pictures.

Odin flew to the top of the bookshelf and perched causing Remus to look over. He noticed a family picture and moved to look at it better. In the picture were four people. James, a woman Remus figured to be his wife, a much younger Isabella, and a surly looking girl that was vaguely familiar to him. The surly looking girl kept flipping her hair and glaring daggers at the camera.

"That girl there," Remus pointed, "her name wouldn't happen to be Katherine Wyndym, would it?"

James grimaced. "Katherine would be my step daughter," he said rubbing the back of his neck. "Well I suppose she isn't anymore, but I raised her since she was six. She still never liked me, and we never were close."

"I remember her briefly from school. She was younger than me, but didn't she transfer to Beauxbatons?" Remus asked. James sighed.

"That was her attempt to get away from Isabella and me. I think she was jealous of any attention her mother gave to us. She was never very kind to Isabella because she was the child from the other man. You can imagine how she treated me." His tone said it all.

Remus was beginning to understand why Isabella hadn't said anything about a sibling. He realized about the only member of her family Isabella did talk about was her dad. He felt sorry he hadn't realized something was off sooner.

"Shall I show you to your room?" James asked suddenly. He went to the small walkway next to the living area that had a door on both sides and one at the end. "On the left is the loo. It even has a tub to soak away the aches and pains. On the right is the linen closet with fresh towels and washcloths. The door at the end," James gripped the knob and turned, "is yours," he said pushing the door open and stepping back so Remus could go first.

The guest room was fully furnished as James had said with a full-size bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside table and small stand with a television on it. The walls were bare and an eggshell color. Everything was neutral but very clean. The furniture did not match exactly but was close enough to work well with one another.

"There's a mirror inside the wardrobe door," James explained as Remus walked further inside. He looked about slowly, thinking this room was a palace compared to some places he'd stayed but something had him unsettled. He turned to James and nodded.

"This is quite nice, thank you," he said emphasizing the last two words. He wanted James to know he was grateful, but he couldn't quite form the words. James smiled as he always seemed to do but did not enter the room. Suddenly Remus realized what wasn't quite right.

"I thought muggle devices were frowned upon by the ministry?" he asked gesturing to the television. James gave him a sheepish look.

"Call it a guilty pleasure. There's a telly in my room as well. I lived among muggles for a solid month once and grew spoiled to some of their conveniences. The landlord and I have an agreement and I've set up a magic generator to power the devices. I bewitched them not to need any muggle service to pick up shows as well."

"Couldn't you face an Inquiry if the ministry ever found out?" Remus asked, thinking it was an awfully big risk to take for something so small. James' grin turned wolfish.

"I have a fair amount of pull in the ministry. Let's just say, I don't feel worried," James assured his new roommate. "If there's anything you need, let me know. Obviously, \7\clothes are the most immediate issue, but that can wait a day or two. For now, make yourself at home and rest. You are safe here."