Chapter 6 - 2nd Year: I'll wait for you

"Let's go! Let's go! I want to see you train harder!" The coach screamed. (Y/N) decided to join the basketball club instead of the music club. Sweat was dripping down his face as he dribbled the ball from one side of the court to the other. With every step, he regretted joining a sports club, he didn't know how intense the training would be. Fortunately for (Y/N), his after-school club activities finishes before Luka's music club.

After minutes of intense training and sweat running down everyone's body, they finally finished. The entire club was in the change room putting on their regular uniform. (Y/N)'s body was glistening because of all the sweat, he got out his water bottle and drank the entire thing. His friend came up to him and laughed as he slapped his back, "Ha! Didn't expect a music kid like you to join the basketball club," he said.

"Just wanted to try something new, you know?" (Y/N) responded with a half smile on his face.

"I can't believe you didn't join the music club though, I heard that you got in a fight with Megurine during the club sign up day, I heard she got pretty pissed off because of you," he laughed.

"It's all goods now, we made a promise and anyway, I'm not that good at piano," (Y/N) said with a hint of sadness in his voice. He regretted not joining the music club because it meant that he would see Luka less.

"Can't believe you would leave a beauty like her behind, you know, all the guys are chasing her now and you probably had the best chance but you threw that away, it's a shame really," his friend said.

(Y/N) was slightly angry because he knew he was right but (Y/N) also didn't want to lose the relationship he has with her now.

Timeskip

(Y/N) walked towards the school's gate and waited out there for his best friend, Luka. He saw other members from the basketball club walk out the school gates and waved goodbye to each and one of them. Soon after, the music club finished their activities and when (Y/N) looked to the side, he saw the pink-haired beauty with a bright smile on her face while talking to her friends. Her light blue eyes sparkled as she walks closer to (Y/N). Once she noticed him, she stopped the conversation she was having immediately and greeted (Y/N), "hey (Y/N), what are you doing here?"

"Well, I was just hoping I could possibly walk together with my best friend," he responded while scratching the back of his head with a red streak going across his face.

"Of course, but my bus doesn't come until much later, so let's hang out for a bit," she said as she waved goodbye to all her other friends, leaving the two alone.

The two walked to a nearby cafe where they would buy drinks and discuss what their clubs were doing. Simply talking about the basketball club was enough to exhaust (Y/N). However; Luka told him all the plans the music club had in the future, the main one is performing at the cultural festival. While Luka talked about the plans with her excited tone, (Y/N) stared at the beauty the same way he stared at her during their first year. He was mesmerised by how beautiful she was. He never wanted to see her cry or lose the smile she has.

"By the way, why did you decide to wait for me?" Luka asked and with this (Y/N) snapped back into reality.

"As I said, I wanted to walk home with you since we're spending less time together due to our different clubs, it's a nice way to catch up and hang out," he said again with a slight redness on his face.

She laughed, "I appreciate the thought but even though we're in different clubs, we're still in the same class for everything else," she smiled.

"Yeah but you're my best friend. I'll wait for you no matter what. When you become famous and start travelling the world, I'll wait for you to come back home so we can talk again," (Y/N) said passionately.

Luka felt her heart skip a beat when he said this, (Y/N) hung his head down in embarrassment after saying this. However; Luka stared at him with blood rushing to her head. An awkward silence ensued between the two, "come on, your bus should be coming anytime soon now, let's leave so you don't miss it," (Y/N) said as he broke the silence.

The two of them reached the bus stop earlier than expected. "The bus should be here in a minute or so," Luka said. She sat down on the nearby bench and waited for the bus. (Y/N) stayed with there with her. "Hey, why are you still here? You can leave if you want," Luka said in a soft and serene tone.

"I rather stay and make sure you get on the bus safely," (Y/N) replied and looked away from her.

"At least sit down, you must be tired after all the basketball training," Luka suggested while patting down the space next to her. (Y/N) sat down a few centimetres away from her and rested his hand in the space between them.

It was a quiet afternoon with the sun setting. The setting sun reminded (Y/N) of the time when he was comforting Luka during their first year. Although silent, he enjoyed spending time with her, he admired her and he felt so grateful that they met during their first year of high school. (Y/N) fell in love with his best friend and at first, he hated it because he believed that it would make their friendship awkward but as they continued to grow, he realised that if he dismisses these feelings, their friendship would stay the same. It hurts him to know that he may never be together with her as a couple but making sure that their friendship remains the same is far more better than ruining it completely.

(Y/N) moved his hand slightly and felt something underneath, he looked down and saw that his fingers were on top of Luka's fingers. He thought that she didn't notice that he was basically holding her hands but as he looked at her face, he saw redness covering her face completely. Immediately, he pulled his hands away and luckily the bus was coming, "I-I see that your bus is here, it was nice talking to you Luka, see you tomorrow at school," he said quickly and waved goodbye.

"Y-yeah bye bye (Y/N)," Luka stuttered.

Although the both of them were second-year students, they still get flustered over hand holding.

Luka got on the bus holding her chest and felt that her heart was racing. While (Y/N) walked away and regretted everything he said and done.

As much as he wanted to dismiss these feelings he has for her, every day it grows stronger. It was going to be a struggle for him to hide these feelings.