"What about her?" I asked, my words a little too fast and voice a little too high. Nico just let out a knowing scoff.

"What is she to you?"

"She's..." I started, trying to find the right words to describe it, but faltering. My mind fell back to our kiss and Sofia's touches that were more than just friendly. I also thought about those touches and how I would shy away from them. Nico's hand on my head suddenly felt heavy as I coughed a little to clear my clogged throat.

"She's a good friend. It's... kind of complicated," I managed to get out.

"You're leading her on," Nico said simply, and I tensed, Nico's fingers stopping for a brief second before continuing to comb through my locks.

"I'm n... ugh, it's complicated, okay? I'm... trying to work things out," I said, turning my head down a little to bury my face in Nico's pants. 

"If you're not into her, just tell her," Nico said, and I frowned, rolling over onto my back to look at him again.

"I am into her," I said, Nico just giving me an incredulous look, my words seemingly more pathetic on my tongue than I thought they would. "It's just... anyway, you're not one to talk. It's not as if you're leading all of those girls of yours on or anything." I gave Nico a challenging look as he just chuckled, his hand leaving my head to run his fingers through his own hair, pulling it back from his eyes. 

"What I'm doing is different," Nico said, and I scoffed.

"Riiiight," I drawled, rolling my eyes. "Enlighten me, Nico, because I honestly can't tell the difference."

"I make it clear with them that I'm not in this for the long haul," Nico said, smirking a little. "They know that it's just a bit of fun, and nothing more. They know it's just sex. I don't think that your pretty little girlfriend quite understands where she stands."

They know it's just sex.

Those words struck a nerve in me, and I sat up quickly, dropping Nico's hand from mine. It was all suddenly very clear to me. It was something that I had always known deep down, but was too afraid to acknowledge it. But Nico had just laid it all out in front of me with a neat little bow. Sex. That was all I was to Nico Beckett, just a good romp that was a little exciting and new for the time being. Nico was interested now, the novelty of sleeping with a boy still fresh. But what about later? What would change in a month? A week? Even tomorrow? 

What am I to Nico Beckett?

I wasn't conceited enough to think that I was anything more than just another one of his flings. No matter how much he stroked my hair or how comfortable it was to rest my head on his lap, like he said, I was quite aware of where I stood. The only thing that separated me from those girls was that I had a dick and they didn't. It was probably the only thing that even made Nico look my way. My throat felt tight as I looked down at the ground. 

Plastering a stiff smile on my face, I picked at one of the foam kickboards under my foot, my nail digging into the bright red material. 

"I guess I can kind of see the difference," I said, not looking up at Nico. "I mean, I know where I stand."

I felt Nico's head snap towards me, looking up at him to see that his brow was raised. 

"What are you saying, Wes?" Nico asked, and I shrugged, brushing off a layer of foam shavings from my crossed legs.

"Nothing, don't worry about it," I said, getting up to stand as I checked the time on my watch. Lunch was about to end, and I didn't want to be late to my next class. "Anyway, lunch is over. I'll see you later."