3| Sober Up

Won't you help me sober up
Growing up it made me numb
And I wanna feel something again

AJR, Sober Up

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Scarlett's POV

It's finally Friday, and I'm already so done with school. I feel so overwhelmed, and we haven't even done anything yet!

I slowly trudge down the stairs and make myself some waffles. After I pull them out of the toaster, I eat the waffles and watch random videos on YouTube.

After finishing my breakfast, I put the plate in the sink and headed back upstairs. I brush my teeth, brush my hair, and choose a sweatshirt from my closet.

I decide to wear a gray sweater that has little designs going down the side and some leggings. Then I grab my backpack and decide to walk to school. Why?... Well, I only live a few minutes away. How about the cafe? Eh, I'll convince someone to drive me. Probably Harper.

A few minutes later, I arrive at the school's parking lot and head for the main entrance. I get inside and check my phone to see how much time I have left before heading to class.

8 minutes. I pretend to do stuff on my phone despite having no service. At least you're listening to music! I look up and see the staff telling everyone to leave the hallway if we're done using our locker.

I frown and start to head to the commons area. They think the entire school can fit in and stand until the bell rings. I hate it because I can never find my friends, so I end up standing alone like a loser. Like a loser? You are a loser. Gee, thanks.

I look at the time and see it's only been 3 minutes. Seriously? Why does time slow down at school, but when I want it to slow down anywhere else, it doesn't!

I look around and see everyone in a friend group talking and using their phones. How do they have service?

Well, why don't you look for your friends? Well, Layla usually comes late, and I'm not third-wheeling Hunter and Harper. Are you forgetting someone? I don't think so.

The bell finally rings, and I start to walk to class. I walk in and see all the desks being pushed to the wall. Oh god, if we have to talk about ourselves or our summer again, I'm gonna explode.

I look around and don't see Ethan. Is he skipping on the first Friday of the school year? Or he doesn't want to get here when the first bell rings. He still has 6 minutes for the passing period.

I put away my phone and earbuds and saw someone sitting beside me three feet away. Um, personal space? I twist my head to the right and see Ethan.

After he puts down his stuff, he looks at me and says, "Hey."

"Hi. Do you know what we're doing?" I ask.

"Nope." He says, shrugging.

He unzips his backpack, and I see a whole bag of Starbursts. "We're best friends, right? Can I have one?" I ask, looking at his backpack.

He laughs and hands me an orange starburst. "Could I have a red or pink one?" I ask.

He makes a disgusted face and says, "You like that shit?"

I gasped and said, "Those are my favorite!" He takes back the orange and hands me two pinks. "Thanks, bestie!"

"No problem." He says, giving me a small smile.