All these questions circled in his mind for a few hours, until he sat at his dining room table. He couldn't take it anymore, he had to say something, it didn't feel right to not.

He reached for his phone, texting James a simple "Hey." He responded quicker than expected.

The conversation carried out normally, except something about James's responses sounded different than they usually were. Eventually, Adam had to speak up.

"What's wrong?" Straight to the point, just like he always was.

James fell silent for a few moments before he sent a big paragraph detailing how he was tortured in a coffee shop and practically forced to approve of Tim asking Jaiden out. As he put it, it was nice of Tim to ask, but if James were honest, he'd only feel horrible about it for the rest of his life.

Adam wasn't having this, it's time to go over there and be a good, supportive friend.

In a matter of ten minutes, he was in James's doorway, then on his bed, simply letting James practically hug his waist as he continued to mourn over his lost opportunity.

"I don't know why I never told her, I should have--I should have told her everything, now it's too late." James sighed.

Instinctively, Adam moved his arm to gently pat his head.

"I'm a failure, Adam." he added with a groan.

No, nope, that was it, Adam picked him up by the chin, forcing him to make eye contact, "I have to disagree, you aren't a failure, you never were one." he spoke a little more forcefully than he intended, but his message was being sent. No love of his was ever going to think they were a failure.

"But Jaiden's gone, I'll never get to tell her how I really feel now."James protested, but Adam refused to be swayed.

"Just because you didn't catch one fish, doesn't mean you can't catch another." He retorted.

James looked away, "What's the point of trying to catch another fish, I'm probably gonna miss catching that one too." he grumbled.

James's words stung a lot more than Adam anticipated, he narrowed his eyes, mostly attempting to look more cross than hurt, "Because never fishing at all is a guarantee to going hungry, now come on I hate seeing you in this dark room. Let's go out and eat or something." Adam stood up, heaving James to his feet and leading him outside.

Then, they were invited to hang out with Jaiden and Tim already.

James wasn't ready for this, and Adam knew.

He tried to find any sort of way out, he was ready to fake an entire trip to Washington in order to make sure that James didn't have to face them until he was ready to.

But James insisted, and like an idiot, Adam gave in.

Throughout the entire thing, James looked visibly hurt, like someone had stabbed him in the gut repeatedly. Whenever Adam glanced over at him, he was gripping his arms tightly, but the moment they made eye contact he'd force himself to look normal, even throw in a horribly weak smile.

It hurt to watch.

When James looked like he was about to cry, Adam knew they'd been there too long, quickly excusing them and driving him home.