Chapter 1

"Oh dear." James covered his face with his hands, his worst fears had come to fruition. He'd have to spend several hours watching the girl he always wanted to call his be taken away from him, and he couldn't say a word about it.

"We don't have to go if you don't want to, I can make up an excuse." Adam assured him, his voice softening. 

"No, no, I don't want to make you do that..." James slowly shook his head, the stress eating at his mind. In truth, for Adam to make something up was all he wanted, but something inside him refused to let him do so. Almost like he wanted to torture himself.

"It'll be okay, I wouldn't want to hang out either if I were you." Adam insisted, beginning to type something out.

"Adam, it's fine. I'll be okay." James persisted.

After a few moments of thinking, his friend let out a defeated groan, "Fine, but we'll leave early. I don't want to let you torture yourself."

James nodded, though as Adam drove to the park all four of them wanted to meet at he began to regret his decision. Perhaps leaving and making up plans was the best way to go. 

They looked so happy, why did they have to look so happy? She's never smiled like that before, why didn't she ever smile like that around James? An invisible force kept him in his seat, his entire being knew that he'd only be hurting himself if he approached them.

But to his rescue, Adam took him by the arm and gently pulled him out. "Really dude, I can make something up. You really don't look too good." Adam reminded him as they started walking.

James promptly shook his head, "No, this is fine. I can't avoid them, they're my best friends." As Adam let go of him, James couldn't help but feel vulnerable. While he walked across the open grass, despite being at Adam's side, and about to meet his friends, a sense of loneliness swept over him. Jaiden and Tim greeted them excitedly, giving James had no more time to wallow,  now he must hide the fact he was ever distraught in the first place.

"It went really well, and I'm so relieved." Tim breathed, his left arm intertwined with Jaiden's.

"I'm so glad, I always thought you two would get together honestly." James lied, though his deceit remained successful as no more questions about how he felt on the matter were asked.

Adam, on the other hand, didn't seem too comfortable whenever the topic came up.

God, did it hurt. A stagnant cloud of loneliness hung above James's head as he watched them happily make conversation. Desperately, he wanted to cling to someone, to receive a hug from anyone regardless of who it was.

Every once in a while as the four circled the park, Adam seemed to give James a fretful glance, which he always had to shoot back a weak grin to keep him from being too concerned.

Eventually, it didn't seem to work. As Adam suddenly looked at his phone, "Oh jeez, look at the time. James and I gotta go somewhere in like half an hour, we should probably head out. See you guys later?" as Adam lied his way out of the whole situation, James loathed the sweep of relief that carried his lithe frame back to the car.

His own house seemed so much farther away, and he'd lived there for so many years.

As Adam got out of the car, awaiting James on the passenger side, the moment he closed the door behind him all James was met with was a hug.

"I should have insisted on us skipping out." Adam murmured.

"No, it was good to see them." James differed.

Adam pulled away, staring at James, "Why do you keep lying so much? You looked so torn up that if we stayed any longer you were going to cry." Concern and sympathy swirled in the shorter boy's dark gaze, which only made James grip his strong arms tighter as he slowly looked down at the concrete below.

"I don't know."

It was quiet for a good minute, as Adam forced James back into another hug, "You know what, no, we're going inside, and we're gonna watch something so nice and so wholesome that you won't even know why you were sad in the first place." he insisted, leading James into his own house.

James cracked a small exhausted grin as he was hurled onto his couch, Adam aggressively searched Netflix for a good movie on the couch cushion beside him.

In all honesty, Adam was slowly achieving his goal of making him feel better just by being there.

At any given time he seemed to be so prepared to give him a hug or nudge him in the right direction, and a day hasn't even gone by since he met Tim at Starbucks.

His nearly genuine smiles grew bigger and bigger with each dumb kids movie Adam put on. Adam's constant overreactions to everything that took place even made him chuckle a little.

Soon enough though the last movie Adam was capable of sitting through had ended, he looked at James and asked gently: "So, how you feeling?"

A surprising realization hit James as he finally turned back to his own thoughts, he'd managed to completely ignore everything that had happened over the course of a few hours. All he could do was smile, letting out a quiet chortle as he lowered his head. His head truly felt a little clearer.