Chapter 5

It is so easy to start for him, isn't it?

It sure was with Jaiden.

Their first Skype call was going so perfectly. James, in all honesty, was incredibly nervous about actually talking to her.

Texts were a nervewracking as is, after all, he didn't want to mess anything up with this new friend.
But with texts, you can backspace, and the other person doesn't know you even considered trying to make that dumb joke.
In a call though, all you could do is choose your words as carefully as you could.

James hadn't messed up yet, or Jaiden certainly didn't act like he was. In fact, their conversation was very pleasant.

As James carefully drew a circle, he decided now was time to present his masterful wits with a seamless joke. "What if, instead of an actual boxing match, it was just two people trying to match boxes. Like--two people are in this big room, and a bunch of boxes are all around them and they're all labeled differently. And it can be all like..." he trailed off, realizing how stupid he just sounded.

He anxiously awaited the awkward silence and the typical, "Huh?"

But instead, he was met with a giggle, "Why'd you stop? That sounded great."

James paused, his new friend's laugh sounded so different. So sweet and pure, and entirely genuine.

Every ounce of his being felt warm and confused, his thudding heart growing increasingly more audible, "Really?"

"Um, yeah? Come on! Keep going!" Jaiden replied happily, continuing to laugh a little.

Her laugh struck countless cords in James's heart once more, he had to practically shove out a small and exceedingly shy "Okay."

For weeks on end, he found himself in a daze. He toyed with his meals for hours, taking forever to actually take a bite as he obsessed over her perfect laugh. Maybe one day he could actually see the smile that accompanied it.

Now he was hooked, texting didn't seem like enough for him. "lol" meant nothing to him now, though it always felt like an achievement in its own right, it had no value in comparison to actually hearing her delighted chortle.

The hours he spent trying everything under the sun to make her laugh felt like pure bliss, how could he possibly be graced with something so flawless for free? One should pay thousands of dollars at least to be in this position!

After a while, James realized that her laugh wasn't the only perfect thing about her.

Especially the first time he saw her face.

It was at a meetup with a bunch of other animators, as James sat down at the bench Jaiden asked to meet at, the cutest girl he'd ever seen shyly approached.

Once Jaiden's voice had escaped her lips, speaking only one two words with an anxious smile, "Hey! James?" James found himself awestricken.

He stared at her, probably for far too long, before coming to his senses and shooting up, "Y-Yeah! Hey!"

She gave him an odd look but didn't question him.

For the rest of the day, James still couldn't wrap his mind around the girl who always stuck to his side. This wasn't real, it couldn't be! It was a dream, yes, a dream. No one could look so exemplary in the real world.

But the most shocking thing about her of all was that she didn't feel the same.

It was almost frustrating, to think she didn't see how wonderful she was. Every day, James would relentlessly try to cram it into her mind that she was amazing in so many ways. But she never seemed to believe him. But he took a little pride in the first time she didn't entirely deny him.

"Who could possibly think that this is pretty?"

"Me!"

...

"Huh?"

"Yeah! I do! And I'm like the most right person ever! I was right when I said that Pooh's shirt was red, and I'm also right when I say that you're absolutely beautiful! It..."

James covered one of his cheeks as he held the phone up against his ear, "It makes me really sad to think that you don't see that." 

Jaiden was quiet for a few moments until finally, she asked:

"You really think so?"

"Of course."

...

"Thank you, James."

Years passed, and none of James's feelings about her ever changed. She was perfect, no one could replace her. And for whatever dumb reason, he never told her how much he'd grown to love everything about her.

And because he was too scared to tell her,

he lost his chance.

"James?"

"Jaiden?"

"No, it's Adam."

Adam towered over him, upon looking around James realized he was laying on his living room floor.

How'd he get here? Where had Jaiden gone? What time is it?

"Huh?" James groaned, "Where did Jaiden go?"

"I don't know, all I know is you sent me a stream of texts asking if I wanted to come over, that you had something to tell me, Jaiden left, you're lonely, you want McDonald's, to get you McDonald's, chicken nuggets to be exact, and then again to come over. All texts being sent at 4:30 in the morning." Adam explained dully, setting down a McDonald's bag.

James stared at the ceiling, "Oh yeah..." he murmured tiredly.

"So, what did you want to tell me?" Adam asked, sitting on the couch.

"I love you." James mumbled, reaching out for the McDonald's bag.

"You what?" Adam hesitated.

"I love you! Am I that quiet? Jeez." James repeated, though by the second time he felt himself heat up a little.

Why did he say that? And why did he say that twice?

"What?" James noticed Adam's legs stiffen a little, after all, that was all he could really see from the floor.

He groggily pulled out a chicken nugget, putting it in his mouth, "Y-You know, for getting me food. I love you for getting me food, thank you." He stuttered, wow, what a great coverup. Now he knows for a fact you're lying.

Adam was quiet for a few moments, before finally replying, "Oh, well, you're welcome."