chapter fourteen

<3

<3
. . .

WEEKS HAD gone by since Ricky's threat and I had gotten several notices and emails from the court. I had tried and tried to convince Ricky to let me go, just until I could earn some more money in order to help my parents.

It was impossible. His mind was set and he showed no mercy.

"Ricky please," I begged helplessly, "Just let me earn some more money and I promise you can do whatever you want with me."

He scoffed, rolling his eyes, "You are so pathetic, my God,"

"I still have feelings for you," I regretted it the second the words escaped my lips, the look on his face said it all.

"Well forget them. Forget everything you had with me, Everly," he replied in a hard tone, not meeting my eyes.

"It's hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember."

Thanks to Gabriel, he had helped me prepare everything just for this date. He himself went to Ricky's office to try and convince him, he ended up coming home with a black eye. Ever since then, Gabriel had been knocking himself out to make sure that I was proved innocent.

"Gabriel is this formal enough for court?" I asked nervously, patting down on my dark blue pencil skirt.

He grinned, "It's perfect, like always,"

I sent him a small smile, blushing slightly, "I-It's really happening,"

He nodded solemnly, "Yeah I guess it is,"

A look of determination flashed on his face, "You are not guilty,"

That was a lie, I, in fact, was very much guilty.

. . .

I watched in absolute terror as the courtroom began to fill up with familiar faces. Ricky's parents, Rose, my parents, and obviously Ricky himself. I didn't spot Gwen anymore, which made me wonder whether or not she even knew about Ricky and me.

I met Ricky's eyes from across the room and I swear my heart skipped a beat. It was a feeling of opia, something I couldn't explain. It reminds me of a word I learned once in English class back in high school.

Mamihlapinatapai. Two people looking at each other each the other will do what both desire but neither is willing to do

"Hey, you're going to be just fine," Gabriel assured, sitting down behind me, next to my parents. I glanced at both of my parents, they gave me a weak smile back.