prologue

song: i'm not the only one - sam smith

. . .

Everly Clark

DO YOU believe in fate? How about love? Miracles, second chances?

There are many mistakes in my life I would change. Even many times where I regretted choices. Let's take the time when I decided not to study for my Pre-Calculus test. Or the time that I fell asleep during my Pre-Calculus test.

But, there is one mistake that I would never stop regretting. I would do anything to go back to that day and change that stupid, not so little, mistake that ruined my life. Even now, the guilt is eating me alive.

9 years ago

A soft giggle escaped my lips as I watched my parents attempting to cook. I shook my head playfully and grabbed a chocolate chip granola bar, taking a small bite.

Mom smiled wistfully at me; her alert eyes rimmed red and bags under her eyes, "Hey Evy,"

My smile faltered a bit, looking sympathetically at both of their states. This has been the schedule for a couple of months, them leaving late at night and returning early in the morning looking like literal crap.

"H-Hey mom," I smiled, taking another bite of the granola bar. Dad put his face in his hands, mumbling something under his breath.

I opened my mouth to ask them if there was something was wrong, but was interrupted by the blaring horn of a car. I instantly smiled, knowing exactly who it was- my boyfriend. I waved to both my parents, grabbing my backpack and running out the door.

Ricky's family rightfully owned a huge interior design company, which made millions. Both of Ricky's parents were quite the money makers, both independent and incredibly strong. Enzo and Jessica Hans, however, were the most kind-hearted parents ever, both caring in every way possible.

I grinned wider, running to him and opening the door, taking a seat, "Why, hello,"

My one and only boyfriend, Ricky Hans and his younger sister Veronica Hans. Ricky smiled, his tousled limp dirty blonde hair causing him to look extremely attractive at the moment.

He looked down at my lips, before softly pecking them, "Hey Ev,"

I sighed gently and laid against the seat, smiling radiantly at how incredibly perfect he was. How incredibly perfect we were.

. . .

The moment I stepped into my house I just knew something was wrong, the air was tense and dangerously quiet. I frowned thoughtfully and strategically placing my belongings down, walking over to the living room.