"Jane, I wasn't-" I start defending but she holds her hand up and I stop speaking.

"I don't care what anyone thinks of me when they look at me right now. As of this very moment in time, I am a mother and a grandmother worried about her son and granddaughter. I don't give a fucking damn about what people think of my look because my thoughts are on my family and their safety. Is that understood?"

She stares intensely at me.

I blink once.

She's even scarier without any make-up on than she is with it on.

She raises a brow at me.

"Understood," I finally answer, my voice hoarse.

"Good." She places both hands on the white worktop and shakes her head while looking down at the floor. "Of all the times for something like this to happen, they pick now." She straightens up. "They pick the moment that my son's mind is focused on saving his company and keeping his one true love safe."

She turns quickly and swipes her bottle of water off the worktop, sending it flying across the room and hitting off the staircase.

"I could actually scream!" She half yells in frustration.

"It's because you don't have control over it," I point out.

She looks at me over her shoulder.

I swallow hard and sit up straight. "You're that used to having control when it comes to your family but because this is something you can't control because you didn't see it coming, you feel like you're losing the plot."

She stares at me long and hard, and I suddenly wish I never opened my mouth.

The last time we were alone together was in Luca's house in London before Louisa and Luca came in and joined us unexpectedly. We fine back then but that's because that was a happier day. None of what has happened had come to light. None of this abruptness of flying to a different country was even a thought in anyone's head.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

"Hmm," she scoffs. She turns and smirks. "Look who has finally grown a pair and is starting to think like a strong woman."

"I must have learned from the best," I grin.

She smiles and the back door opens, Nick leading the way with the different security teams closely behind him. Luca comes down the stairs quickly and looks at his father, his arms folding across his chest as he waits patiently for him to say something.

"First thing in the morning, I want you outside waiting on us. Jane hasn't got work so she will be staying here with Louisa. Xavier, you'll be here for Louisa as well as two of my guys and one of Jane's. The rest will come with Luca, Kaylee, and myself to the apartment."

"We'll be here for the crack of dawn, Mr. Madden." Carlo confirms.

"Good."

Carlo excuses himself and the other bodyguards. They walk up the stairs and we all wait until the sound of the front door opening and closing before anyone moves. Luca moves to stand behind me, his hands falling onto my shoulders. Nick locks the back door and stands next to Jane.

"What'sournext step?" Jane probes.

She stares at Nick until he looks at her.

"Our next step is for everyone in this house to get some sort of sleep and when it comes morning, we'll go from there." Nick says firmly.

"You can't be-" Luca starts.

Nick shakes his head. "No questions asked. We've been over this. You need to get some sleep because who knows where your mind will be tomorrow morning when we go to your apartment."