Chapter 1- Normal?

Amorie’s P.O.V

I choked back more tears as we walked away from the Labour ward. I shook my head frantically trying to erase the image of my mum laying there. With her dark hair swept across her pale face as she slipped further and further away from us. Forever.

She couldn’t be gone. She was only going to hospital too give us our younger sibling. Nothing else. Nevertheless, she had died and was soon too buried six foot in the ground.

My hands started to shake the further we walked away from the hospital. I didn’t want to leave her. It may sound creepy that I wanted to sit with my dead mother, but it is the only comfort I could get.

All eight of us were silent as we climbed into the minivan. I sat in the back, curling myself into a ball, facing the window.

The odd dot of light flashed across my vision, as we zoomed home. I shivered with the cold that nipped at my skin. A few tears leaked through my eyelids. I didn’t bother to wipe them away, I didn’t have the energy.

Closing my eyes, I gave away to the numbness that threatened to consume me. Well, not really numbness, but pain—a dull, all-encompassing, intense ache.

I felt my body being lifted and carried. I wrapped my arms around the person’s neck, struggling to keep grip.

Smelling the familiar sent, I let my eyes flutter open. “Hey there, sleepy head.” Kai whispered, smiling.

I yawned in response and Kai laughed. Dalton held the door open for his younger sibling. “Thank-you dearest brother.” he joked, hoisting me up further.

Kai laid me on the couch before plopping himself next to me. “Lilia, come and help me make dinner,” Carter shouted from the kitchen.

Lilia huffed but promptly walked into the kitchen. Ian crawled up the stairs, without uttering a word. It left; Wyatt, Dalton, Grant, Kai and me in the front room.

Wyatt flicked on the T.V. None of us were even listening to it, leaving the news presenter to talk to himself.

Kai abruptly jumped up the sofa and ran up the stairs. We shared knowing looks between us. Seconds later, we heard loud music coming from Kai’s room.

“To un-explain the unforgivable, drain all the blood and give the kids a show. By streetlight this dark night, a séance down below.” The music cried.

Kai hated to show weakness around us. He would act normal and happy around us but as soon as he was, alone he would blast his music and drown in his sorrows.

He was the same when dad left. He acted as if it didn’t bother him but then he disappeared up to his room, not saying anything.

I only realised that Kai hated showing weakness around us, the night of dad leaving us. Mum had asked Carter and me to go and get Kai for dinner. Kai had locked his door and he wasn’t answering either.

Wyatt had to force the door in so we could get Kai. We saw Kai sat cross-legged on his bed, crying his eyes out. As soon as he saw us, he ran into the bathroom and didn’t come out until we had gone to bed.

From now on, we knew that was Kai’s way of releasing his emotions. We knew never to get involved too. It caused more problem then we wanted.

 "Uh- Amorie could you get Kai?” Lilia asked, popping her head out from the kitchen. I nodded before trudging up the stairs.

I stopped briefly to get a piece of paper and a pen. I got to Kai’s room and I leant against the door. Yep, he was definitely staying in there until we left.