Part Eighty-Five: Wayne Meets Walt

This chapter is dedicated to @FromtheBar and her exciting story of love and romance 'The Split Game.'

Chapter 85

Wayne Meets Walt.

A/N: Well summer and a whole host of other distractions have got in the way of regular updates of this story. Sincere apologies for that and I will certainly endeavour to meet weekly update deadlines.

That said, you might need a little background updating on what the characters are about in Bamptonville.

Walt has been fired by Fawley  for not persuading the condo dwellers to sell out to him. Walt's moved into the motel.

Tod Mecklen has left Bamptonville after the Sheriff discovered his treachery in passing sensitive information to Felix Gleitner.

The Sheriff has set out to have a show-down with Gleitner, but has been diverted to a domestic incident.

Jess has been prohibited from having anything to do with Greg by Dr. Armstrong. To clear his debt at school he has agreed to do the photo shoot on Sunday for Felix. To prevent him changing his mind and to keep him close Felix has told Tom SIlvers to stick close to Jess and not let him out of his sight. They're in Wendy's eating cheeseburgers.

Gleitner is sat in the Truck Stop. He's been set up to expect a Federal sting. His operations for the night are being run elsewhere by his rent-boys.

The Judge is fretting and waiting for an update from the Sherriff after his meeting with Gleitner, anxious to know if there's any truth in the rumour about a vice ring involving High school students and angry with himself that he allowed the Sheriff a free hand to carry out the investigations.

The unemployed rednecks are angry because the jobs arising from Greg's oil processing plant have gone to the ethnics when the mayor promised any jobs to them.

Fawley has got on this band-wagon for his own purposes, he needs zoning boundaries changed so he can acquire the condo, knock it down and run a road into a new plant he wants to build. He's announced that he's running for mayor.

Mayor Denton is runnng scared at Fawley's threat wishing Ross Noble would hurry home to advise him what to do for the best.

Dr. Armstrong has been frightened by the Sheriff's warning that the restrictions he imposed on Jess's movements and associations are unlawful and affect Greg also, who has the means to sue. Armstrong's waiting for a call from the Sheriff.

Ma Tooley is in her kitchen all-hours ready to fry eggs and make pancakes for whoever wants them at any time of night or day. 

Wayne and Greg have arrived at the motel and have just had an altercation with Wes Chandler, the owner-clerk. Now read on:-

  “Yahoo, that sure knocked him off his high horse.” Wayne kicked closed the office door and doubled himself over on the boardwalk; whooping with laughter. “Did you see the hate in his face when you told him to get wider blinds?”

  In the shadow cast by the shimmering yellow glow of the low powered emergency light Wayne could not see Greg’s face. He stood in shadow beside Wayne, still and upright with gritted teeth; silently castigating himself for losing his self control and giving the motel clerk a piece of his mind.

  ‘That was stupid. Why did you let yourself do that just to make yourself feel better? If ever there was a way to get that man on your side you’ve sure as hell ruined that chance now.’