Caroline hung her apron up so she could get back to her work that she does in the lounge, but she didn't leave before giving me a hug.

   "I don't know what's going through your mind now that Ian is home, but I imagine there's a lot. If you ever need anything, Jos, you know where to find me," Caroline promised.

   Here's yet another reason to love my job. Caroline plays the role of the big sister I never had.

   "Thank you," I smiled, genuinely. "By the way, when does Kaila come in?" She was surprisingly still out cold when I left for work so I didn't get a chance to ask her.

   "I don't think she's scheduled."

   Odd; Kaila usually always works Thursdays.

   Right after Caroline had left, Ian came in. He looked much more lively than when I had just talked to him down at the beach. Mr. Westchester probably gave him a motivational pep talk and a glass of coffee, two of his specialities.

   "Hey, Ian," I greeted. There were only two tables in use at this moment in time, both being my responsibility. After I greeted Ian, I went to go check on both of the tables.

   "When do you think it'll pick up?" Ian took a seat at the counter by the register, waiting for something to do.

   "Honestly, if it's not busy now, I don't think it will." It's already nearly two, so the would-be lunch rush is passing. We have until at least five until the dinner rush will kick in.

   One of the tables came up with their bill and cash to pay before leaving, talking about how they were going to spend the afternoon on the beach now. That leaves one table of teens who were just socializing at this point. I didn't mind though.

   "What time was your therapy this morning?" I asked Ian, boredom striking. Don't get me wrong, it's relaxing when it's slow, but at least we always have something to do when it's busy.

   "Nine, why?"

   "Weren't you hungover?" Him and Mason were completely wasted last night. The outcome of that has to be a killer hangover. There's no way they could shotgun a minimum of four beers, and Ian was fine in the morning.

   "A little," he shrugged. "Water and ibuprofen helped, and I learned how to fight through the pain of a hangover on my base."

   Oh yeah, I forgot Ian really learned how to handle his alcohol while he was away.

   "That's insane," I shook my head in disbelief, grinning slightly. "Mason is probably dead."

   "Oh, for sure. He's used to high school when he could outdrink me."

   Mason and Ian have always been uber competitive with one another, making friendly competition out of literally anything, and that included alcohol consumption.

   "Have you put any thought into what you're going to do when fall comes around?" He has the option to go back to school, but he could just continue to work at Westchester full-time. "I don't mean to freak you out or anything."

   "Yeah, actually. I had a conversation with my sergeant the other day, and we talked about what I want for myself after I retire from the army," he explained. The way he spoke about the matter reflected pride and happiness. Clearly, he was content with how the conversation with his sergeant went. "I want to become an ROTC instructor."

Part of me was surprised, while the other part was not. Since Ian had joined the JROTC, he'd loved it. He always enjoyed going and learning, then coming home and telling me and our families about it. He takes great pride in his interest with the army. I guess I was just a little surprised because of what I had just witnessed post-therapy. In his defense, though, he can still be proud of what he is fighting for in the bigger picture, despite what he had done during times of war.

"I think that'd be an amazing career path for you, Ian," I said genuinely. The table of teens each came up with their individual bills and paid, leaving the cafe empty.

This is probably the most dead Westchester has ever been.

"I'm taking courses at the community center down the road come fall, and my therapist is going to help me find a good university nearby for the spring."

The fact that Ian was planning for the future, like he is, really hit home. He is home, he is really home. And to stay. Sure, he could be called into active duty, but we have time together. He's planning for a future here because he knows there is one that doesn't seem so far away, like it did when he left four years ago.

~•~

By the time I got home from work, which was around 8, I found Kaila still laying in bed. She had the TV on and Desperate Housewives playing at a low volume with close-caption on. Her hair was in a ratty bun on top of her head and she was still in her PJs. She was basically the epitome of a mega hangover.

"Oh, great," Kaila grumbled. "You're home."

"Wow, happy to see you too," I chuckled. Despite her distaste to see me, I squeezed myself onto her bed and made myself comfortable. "Can you pause your show?"

Mumbling incoherently under her breath, she did as I asked.

Kaila's hangovers obviously don't last until 8pm, but how it usually works is she sleeps in until 2pm, loses most of her day, has a headache so spends the rest of her day in bed, and gets annoyed she wasted a whole day and it puts her in a bad mood.

And that is why drunk Kaila is only fun the night of.

"What's up?"

"Ian was late for work today. He had his first therapy session and was really overwhelmed," I filled her in on what she had missed out on at Westchester today.

"Is he doing better?"

"Only time will tell," I shrugged. I guess this is one of those scenarios where we hope the saying "time heals all wounds" is accurate. "But I told him I'd start going to his sessions with him for moral support."

For the first time since I'd entered the room, I had her entire attention. "Josie."

"Kaila."

"You do realize you're offering to be very emotionally connected with him."

"So?" I knew exactly where she was going with this.

"So, are you sure you are even capable of being emotionally connected with him anymore?" Without being afraid of our love rekindling like a wildfire? No.

"He's Ian Miller, Kai. I have to be here for him."

"Just be careful, Jos. No matter how much I love you and Ian and care about your guys' happiness, Joel is a good guy. You don't want to ruin that." That's a fact.

   Joel is a rare specimen, and I could never do anything to hurt him. I trust myself to be conscientious around Ian and just be able to be there for him as his best friend.

•••

Late again, but I really liked this chapter. We are getting closer to the climax, and im antsy!!! I'm upset though because I've barely had time to write lately.

What do you guys think of Josie's decision to be there for Ian through his therapy sessions? Good or bad?

I don't have much else to say, so have a good week everyone!

Don't forget to...
Vote
Comment
Follow
Share
Check out my other stories!

- Emily