"And I don't like talking to a random stranger hired by the corps about it all."

"It's a professional though, E. In the long run, she will know how to help you cope with it in a healthier way than burying it in your memory."

He sighed deeply, so deep that I could practically feel the amount of weight he was carrying on his shoulders right now with everything that is running through his head.

"It's so hard, Jos."

I scooted closer to him and leaned my head on his shoulder and he leaned his head on mine, almost as if it was instinctive.

"When is your next appointment?"

"Saturday."

"What if I go with you? For moral support, ya know."

When I felt Ian pick his head up off of mine, I looked up at him to make eye contact with him. "Really?" He asked.

I nodded, smiling softly. "Of course."

"I — I would love that." His initial tone suggested he was going to say something else, but changed his mind right before the words left his mouth.

"I'm always here for you, Ian." I stood up and held my hand out to him to help him up, even though I knew he would really just be pulling himself up. My lack of arm strength was of no help to him. He took my hand and pulled himself up with my little assistance, then pulled me in for a hug.

"I know you are," he mumbled.

I missed Ian so much while he was gone, but I've realized, now that he's back, I missed him even more than I imagined. Simply as friends, he brought a light and happiness into my life that only he's capable of doing.

"Come on," I forced myself to pull away from the hug that I was enjoying so much. "We should get to work." Realistically, we weren't being rushed by anyone because Caroline wanted me to find Ian and make sure he is okay.

Using that term loosely, I'd say he is. He's scarred and hurting, but I know he can get through this. He's the strongest and bravest person I know. Plus, he will never be alone because I would never walk away from him. He will always have someone to lean on; I may not understand at all what he'd experienced, but I can listen and I can comfort.

   "Unfortunately," he sighed, joking lightly.

   I'm pretty sure nobody actually enjoys working, but we are lucky to have the job that we do. Not only do we have the best coworkers, but the pay is great, our boss is understanding, and the work is never grueling. The most difficult job is the ice cream parlor during the weekend or when it's hot, but even that is manageable.

   Ian went to the lounge to check in with Mr. Westchester and explain his lack of punctuality, and I headed to the cafe to update Caroline on the whole ordeal and start working.

   "Did you find him?" Caroline asked as she filled a costumer's glass of water with an ice water pitcher.

   "Yeah," I put on my apron and waited for her to come over to the counter. She'd have to fill me in on what tables were mine and what they had ordered. "He was just overwhelmed."

   Caroline slid a piece of paper over to me with my tables on it and their orders. "With reasoning. He went to war at 18."

   I still get tense when people say it, and he's home now. It's so hard to believe that he'd gone fresh out of high school. I knew he was going, but it was so abrupt; I thought we would have at least some college together before he'd left.