enamored - davey jacobs

ابدأ من البداية

Crutchie's best friend was the leader of the Manhattan Newsies' strike, Jack Kelly. Jack was the front of the operation but you found out that it wasn't just him running it; the brains was Davey Jacobs, the newsie who captured your attention the first day he showed up at the circulation gates. Crutchie told you that he and Jack made plans to make their way to Santa Fe and start a new life there and that he was excited to start a new life.

What you didn't know was that Crutchie noticed every time you would sneak a glance out the window and your face would fall, not seeing who you were looking for. He didn't bring it up for the first few days but after he felt more comfortable with you, his curiosity got the best of him.

"Who ya lookin' for?" Crutchie asked, sitting up in your shared bunk. He had closed his eyes for a few minutes and when he awoke again, you weren't next to him; you were perched on the low window, looking out longlingly. You opened your mouth to protest and he quieted you with a look that could very possibly kill puppies. "Don't try to tell me you're not looking for someone, I've seen that wistful look across you's face ev'rytime you look out that window."

You sighed, looking out the window once more before hopping down and crawling in the covers next to Crutchie. "There's just something about him. From the day I saw him, I was intrigued. Just a glance at him could send my stomach in flutters for days. And sometimes, he'll be looking for me too."

"Who?" Crutchie's eyebrows were furrowed and you grabbed his hand and held it over your heart, much like he did the first day you met him.

"Davey Jacobs," you replied and you shut your eyes, moving closer to Crutchie for warmth. Crutchie had so many questions, that much was obvious. But he knew you didn't sleep much, so he dropped them, moving his arm around you and pulled you closer, his eyes closing as well.

-

News of the strike ending spread like wildfire in the refuge. Different police officers were being assigned to different children to deliver them home or to a lodging house if they didn't have a home. You helped Crutchie back into his vest and he turned to you, his lips pursed in a way that you would have thought he was told that he had to stay in the refuge for the rest of his life.

"Where are ya goin'?"

You smiled softly, adjusting his vest so you didn't have to make eye contact with him. "I'll be around. Maybe I'll see ya again sometime."

Crutchie grabbed your hands, forcing you to look back up at him. "Wanna come back to the lodge with me? The boys are real nice and you'll earn a few bucks sellin'. It's not much but.." He trailed off and you could almost hear him finish his sentence. It's not much but it's better than being by yourself. Crutchie twisted his mouth into a teasing smile. "I could introduce ya to the famous Jack Kelly and Davey Jacobs."

And with that sentence, you found yourself agreeing before you could even think to stop yourself. You wanted to meet the boy who you've been curious about since the day he showed up at the circulation gate. You wanted to meet the awkward gangly boy who was known to the whole entire city as a hero. You wanted to meet Davey Jacobs.

-

When you and Crutchie were dropped off at the circulation gates with the rest of the newsies, there was so much celebration. They were celebrating about the strike being over, about Crutchie coming back to them, and about Jack staying in Manhattan with his new girlfriend, Katherine Pulitzer.

When everyone had settled down and began to crowd around the Delancey brothers to buy papers to start selling, Crutchie made his way over to you. "You ready to meet him?" You nodded, feeling your heart drop to your stomach and you followed behind him, your hands wringing nervously behind your back. "Ey, Davey! I want ya to meet my new friend, (Y/N)! They, y'know, helped me get back to a little better health in the, uh, in the refuge."

Your eyes met with Davey's and he sent you a beautiful smile. "I know you! You're the one who'd look out the window during selling. I could see ya from my spot."

Your cheeks flushed as Crutchie sent you a knowing look. "I've been watching the newsies for about 2 years, you were the first to actually notice me."

"What's there not to notice? You're captivating." Davey's mouth quirked into a half smile and your heart fluttered. "You know, I could use a new selling partner,"

You threw a glance at Crutchie and he nodded his head vigorously. You smiled widely at Davey and grabbed his outstretched hand. "I guess I need a selling partner." Davey led you to the back of the line to buy papers. "Davey, I don't um, you know, have any money."

Davey looked down at you, almost concerned. "Consider it a welcome to the newsie family. I'll get 20, you can have 10, I'll have 10."

You smiled gratefully at him. "How can I ever repay you?

"You helped Crutchie, that's enough for you to have my gratitude for the rest of my life."

-

Three months since you got out of the refuge and you couldn't be happier. You made quick friends with Race and Albert, teasing and taunting them much like a younger sibling would. You were fitting in with all the boys perfectly.

You and Davey were the perfect selling partners. He couldn't make up headlines on the spot but you could, you couldn't count the money so you didn't know when to give back change but Davey could. In between selling, you could find the two of you at Mr. Jacobi's shop grabbing lunch or in your bunk, him teaching you to play cards.

The only people who knew about your crush on the dark haired boy was Crutchie, Race, and Albert. They all liked to sit you down and beg you to 'just tell him, (Y/N).' But things were going good the way they were, you and Davey were friends and you were happy with your new lifestyle.

One day when Davey was walking you back to the refuge after a long day of selling, you could tell there was something bothering him. "Davey, are you okay?"

Davey nodded his head and you sent him a disbelieving look. "I mean, I think so. I just, uh. I talked to Race and Albert today."

Your heartbeat picked up and your mouth went dry. "Really,"

Davey grabbed your hand, intertwining your fingers. "They told me something," you looked at him, encouraging him to continue. "Um, it was about you. They told me you have, y'know, a crush on me."

You dropped your hand from his. "I'm gonna kill them both. They're gonna die a slow and painful death. I'm sorry, I didn't want you to find out. It's just like I watched you for a while and was intrigued and then when Crutchie introduced me to you it just grew into more of a crush and-"

Davey cut you off by putting a hand over your mouth. "Can you let me finish please?" When you nodded, he dropped his arm and grabbed your hands again. "I'm glad they told me. Do you know why?" You shook your head no and Davey smiled at you. "Ask me why."

You sighed, just wanting to get this over with so that you could go back to the lodge and kill your two best friends. "Why are you glad they told you?"

Without responding, Davey leaned in and pressed a chaste kiss to your lips. "It's because I like you too."

You felt a smile tug on your lips and Davey's mouth was almost mirroring yours. "Well that's an interesting development."

"I know a good word for how I felt the first time I saw you from the window." Davey said and then leaned in to kiss you once more. "Ask me what it is."

"What was the word, Davey?" You two probably looked like fools, standing in the middle of the street, both your hands joined and wide smiles that neither of you could wipe off your faces.

"Enamored," Davey responded, bringing his right hand up to your lips and kissing the top of it. "Being filled with complete love for something."