Chapter Three: Trust

Start from the beginning

I caught a glimpse of Shrewclaw, Redclaw and Cinderpaw entering camp, but my attention remained on Dawnpaw. "We always will be. You're my sister, and there is nothing I can do to change that." I walked away to Redclaw.

My father glared down at me, setting down some large leaves. "Yes?"

"I might be a warrior tomorrow..." I mewed up at my father.

"Might isn't good enough," he growled. "You need to know. You're just wasting my time. Cinderpaw has a better chance of become deputy than you do a warrior." He picked up the herbs and walked to the medicine den.

I stared at my father in shock. I had let him be disappointed in me. He wasn't happy with me being his son. Anger and sadness went through me, but I pushed it away and sat down.

"Don't let him get to you, Russetpaw." Cinderpaw was suddenly beside me. "He's just mad that Dawnpaw can boss him around now that she's a medicine cat."

I jumped to my paws. "He's disappointed in me! In case you couldn't tell. He knows I won't pass my assignment tomorrow! I let him down."

"You didn't let him down. When I pass my assignment tomorrow and you don't, I'll make sure he knows you didn't fail completely." Cinderpaw laughed and walked away.

I turned around and walked to the apprentices den, sadness getting the better of me.

***

The next morning I awoke no dream from StarClan or the Dark Forest. I sat up in my nest, looking around. Cinderpaw was gone and so was Tallpaw.

I exited the den. Reedfeather was sitting in the clearing talking to Tallpaw.

"Hey!" I called, walking over. Reedfeather looked up and smiled.

"Ready for your assignment?" he asked.

I nodded. "Let's do this!" There are three, powerful enough to destroy the upcoming darkness. The prophecy flashed in my mind, my heart pounded in my chest and shook it off and followed Reedfeather out of camp. I needed to focus on my warrior assignment.

"You are to find a rabbit, any size or any shape, and you must kill it and bring it back here."

"Is Cinderpaw doing this assignment too?"

"Yes. She should've started a few seconds ago. Remember, I will be watching you."

I walked away, scenting the air. It was colder than usual, but with Leaf-bare coming, it should be.

Something rammed into me and I fell over, rolling back onto my paws I caught a glimpse of the animal. Dog! Heart pounding, I lashed out at it and then turned around, running for my life, feeling the dog's breath on my tail.

"Russetpaw!" I heard Reedfeather screech.

"Save me!" I wailed back, glancing behind me at the dog.

I ran into something and looked up. It was black and very large. Another dog! I panicked as the brown dog tackled me, pinning me to the ground.

A loud unfamiliar battle screech sounded and the weight from the dog disappeared in an instant. Quickly, I stood up went on my hind paws, facing the black dog. I hit it on the head, got down on four paws and tripped him, then took a bite right out of his shoulder.

The dog wailed, pushed me off him and raced away.

"Are you alright?" An unfamiliar large dark brown tabby was in front of me now.

"Y-yeah.." I felt dizzy with confusion. "You're Raggedpelt, right?"

He nodded. "Yes. What about it?"