Chapter One: A First Glimpse

Start from the beginning

Heatherstar exited her den, her blue eyes focused on Whiteberry, who was arguing with Hawkheart.

"Heatherstar?" I walked to her and she nodded in response, still focused on Whiteberry.

"Are you okay?" I asked, tilting my head curiously.

"What?" Her head turned towards me. "Oh yes, right... I'm fine..." She smiled and nodded at me. "You go do what kits do."

"Russetkit, I found the perfect tunnel brambles!" Littlekit called, racing over, jumping up and down.

"Don't just jumped around, show me!" I said and followed him to the apprentices den were he uncovered a bramble bush that was perfect size for me to fit into.

"All you do is small down a bit and squeeze right through there. Then, once inside, you turn left and it leads you right out of camp!" Littlekit's voice had dropped to a whisper now that he was telling me where this tunnel leads.

I had already fit through the hole and was making my way towards the light in the tunnel. I turned left like Littlekit had said and kept going, then I fell, rolling what felt like down a hill. I tumbled and looked around, realizing that I was in fact, outside of camp, if only a little.

"Cool, right?" Littlekit was suddenly next to me. "I found it and just had to test it out. Go over that hill right there and you can see Shrewpaw and Redclaw train. Believe it or not, but Shrewpaw is a great fighter, she's almost beat Redclaw."

I looked around seeing the giant camp wall, a hill and a few shrubs. Everything else was flat land.

I climbed over the hill and there was Shrewpaw and Redclaw, practice fighting like there was no tomorrow.

"This is perfect Littlekit!" I called, my eyes glued to Shrewpaw's fighting moves. That must be advanced fighting skills. I could really impress Heatherstar with those!

"Someone is coming down the tunnel!" Littlekit squeaked suddenly and just as I turned around Cherrykit popped out.

"Found you!" she said, standing up and shaking her pelt. "We need to head back up. I think something is wrong with Heatherstar, she seems tense."

"Follow me!" Littlekit swerved around the tunnel and went to another one which was just made of stone, I'd realized as I followed him through it.

When we entered camp everything was very quiet. Luckily I had had just enough time to remember one of Shrewpaw's moves.

Heatherstar was eating a rabbit at the edge of camp, her eyes focused on a spot in front of her, so that's where I went.

Redclaw had just entered camp, Shrewpaw followed, then Whitepaw and Reedfeather right after, Whitepaw was carrying a rabbit.

I took a deep breath just like Shrewpaw did, then I swiped at the air, raced forward and flipped backwards, landing exactly how Shrewpaw did: my back left paw in the air and the other three laid neatly on the ground, my eyes closed.

"That was impressive, Russetkit," Heatherstar said suddenly, her voice full of surprise. "Where'd you learn that?"

My eyes flicked open to see Heatherstar staring at me, Shrewpaw was now sitting beside Heatherstar, a thoughtful look on her face. "Oh, I just, made it up..." I lied easily. "Thank you, Heatherstar." I stood up and dipped my head like Shrewpaw did to Redclaw.

"I did that same move today..." I heard Shrewpaw mumble. "How would he know it...?"

My tail twitched and I turned around to see Redclaw's eyes watching me. I shivered and walked over to Cherrykit who stared at me with an icy glare.

"You stole that move from Shrewpaw!" she growled lowly, glancing around.

I shrugged. "So what if I did. No one knows," I retorted.

"I know. And that's bad enough... If Shrewpaw finds out she'll tell on you for going out of-" She cut herself off and glanced behind me.

I turned around and looked up. Shrewpaw was sitting right behind me, her eyes looking down at me.

"So you stole that move from me?" she asked, her voice showing no emotion.

My ears twitched. "Y-yes... But I only wanted to impress Heatherstar. Please don't tell on me!" I pleaded, hoping she'd keep her mouth shut.

Her mouth twitched into a smile. "I won't tell. I promise..."

I sighed and nodded, then padded away, worry still in my eyes.

***

A sharp jab to my ribs made my eyes flicker open.

"Wake up Russetkit!" a low growl made me jump to my paws. I looked around, seeing nothing but darkness.

"Greetings." A pale gray tabby tom sat in front of me, his fur ragged and his eyes glowing.

"Wh-who are you?" I asked, shuffling backwards only to run into a tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat, who was staring down at me with amber eyes.

"Don't fear me, kit. I am Silverhawk and that is Mapleshade. We are here to help you win over your Clan! And be the best warrior you can be!" His voice held determination.

"How can you do that?" I glanced at Mapleshade and then looked back to Silverhawk.

"I can train you. You can be leader when I'm done with you!"

"You're a StarClan cat?" I asked with uncertainty.

Silverhawk glanced at Mapleshade. "Yeah... Sure... I'm a StarClan cat."

"I'd love to be trained by you!" I squealed, jumping up and down in excitement.

"Good, good..." He smiled. "Great to have you here Russetkit. I'm sure you'll be... deadly when I'm done with you."

"You got him that easily." A gray tom entered the clearing, his face grim. A familiar smell on his pelt.

"Meet Thistleclaw. He's one of our tom apprentices here in the Da-I mean StarClan..." I heard Mapleshade snort and Thistleclaw glanced at Silverhawk with a questioning look.

"Mapleshade! Mapleshade!" A dark brown tabby tom jumped into the clearing. "Oh, I found him. Come on, Thistleclaw! Stop running from me, dumb apprentice." He turned around and Thistleclaw followed, eyes shining.

"You may go now." Silverhawk nodded at me. "Close your eyes, Russetkit." I did as he said and closed my eyes.

***

I jumped up in my nest, looking around I saw morning light flickering through the nursery, my heart pounding I remembered my talk with Silverhawk. I would be the best warrior ever!

"Are you alright Russetkit?" I heard Cloudpool muter.

"Yeah," I whispered, then climbed out of the nest and exited the nursery, looking around. Heatherstar was lying in the clearing, Reedfeather beside her, talking away. Redclaw was leading Tallpaw and Shrewpaw out of camp. Dawnstripe and her kits were playing moss-ball.

Hawkheart exited his den, his eyes flickering to me before turning away and sorting his herbs.

"Hi!" I squeaked, sitting down infront of Hawkheart. "What're you doing?" I asked, looking down at all the herbs.

"I'm sorting herbs." His eyes we uneasy and he shifted as if this was awkward.

I tilted my head. "That must stink," I said, looking up at him.

"I know what you're doing, Russetkit," he mewed suddenly, looking down at me with his yellow eyes.

Russetkit blinked in confusion. "What am I doing, Hawkheart?" My head tilted.

"Stop seeing Silverhawk." He stood up and walked away, leaving those words fresh in my mind.

I'm not doing anything wrong though... Silverhawk is a StarClan cat. And he will protect me, I thought my eyes glancing over at Hawkheart who was exiting camp. I think.