Chapter 5-My mom

I got off the bus and walked to my house. As I got inside, I saw my dad sitting at the kitchen table, looking at pictures of my mom. He was tearing up, and didn't hear me come in.
My mom passed away when I was 4 years old because of cancer. It haunts me every day, the fact that I barely even got to know her, but I never go a minute without thinking of her. I think my dad has it worse though. He knew her, loved her, and watching her die must've been so much more painful for him.     
    Now, it's just me and him, and every year, November 12, my dad takes off work, to think about my mom, on the day they got married. I've been trying to tell him to go out and meet someone new, because he would be much happier with someone rather than being alone. But he can't bring himself to do that, he thinks it would be betraying his wife.
    I go over to him and give him a big hug.
    "Hey sweetie." He says, sniffling his nose.
    "Hey Dad." He was looking at a picture of him and my mom in the hospital, right after giving birth to me. It made me tear up, my mom was so beautiful, and I wish I could just see her one more time.
    "Your mother was the most amazing person I have ever met." He said, wiping his tears away. "I remember after taking this picture she wanted to name you Forest. Forest Woods." He started to chuckle. "She could always make me laugh, even at the stupidest things." He started to gaze off, and I sat up, and made him a snack.
    "Here. Eat some food. You need your energy." I told him.
    After my mom died, my father couldn't go to work for a few months. He started drinking, and couldn't stop. Every night he would break down sobbing, and I always tried to comfort him.
    He soon realized I wasn't getting better from seeing him like that, and knew he needed to change, for me. He stopped drinking, went back to work, and took care of me the best that he could. But every year on the day of their anniversary, he couldn't hold anything back, and we would sit there together, talking about how much we miss her.
    The fact that I only lived with my dad was pretty alarming. He was never really good with "girly" things, which is why I'm so glad I had Kiara on my side. Her and her mom has helped me through so much, my first period would've been a disaster without them. Kiara's mom is like a step-mom to me, she has always been there for me and my dad to help us through hard times.
    I brushed my tears away as I sat up from my chair. I called Kiara to help lighten the mood.
*on facetime*
    "Hey.." I say, quietly. Kiara instantly realizes what's going on, and tries to get my mind off it.
    "SoOOoO.. how was lunch today?? Is he cute?"
    I laugh. "Yes, he's cute. He has blonde hair and blue eyes. But we're not dating! I just met him yesterday."
    "Haha okay okay. But I have to tell you tha-"
    She gets interrupted by a text from a number I don't recognize. It reads, "hey."
     "Who was that??" I guess she heard the ringer.
    "Just my dad. I gotta go. Bye!" I say quickly and end the call.
    I open the text as it sends, "what's up?" I figured it was Harvey, and decide not to tell him about what day it is, I don't want to go through that pain. I reply with "nothing" and we start texting.
    "So anything interesting happen in school today?" He asks.
    "Not really. But I have this huge project for my theater class. I have to make a set of the Emerald City and it's due Friday. I haven't done anything yet. Ugh kms."
    "Oh! Cool."
    "It's not cool. I don't have a group to work with because my teacher put me alone."
    "I'm sure you'll do just fine."
    "Sure."
    I shut my phone off started to do my home work. But I was distracted, and thought about my mom. Thinking about her seemed to brighten my mood, even though I was crying again. I looked down at my favorite necklace, which i got from my mother before she died. I stared at it, put it on, and continued my homework.

Okk so what did ya think?? This chapter was a bit sad sorry about that, but I felt like I didn't want Avery's life to be perfect. What do you think will happen next?