Chapter One: The Beginning

Kanaye's View - 8 years old

I was running away from my clan; my home village.. They had treated me bad enough, I was done with it, done with everything. My clan was horrible, they fought ruthlessly, even going as far as killing their own family! Another thing about my clan was they killed anyone who was powerful, I mean anyone. Children, adults, newborns, me. I am one of their targets, supposedly I was too strong for a child. There was this strong chakra locked inside me, which I didn't know how it got their nor do I know how to unlock it. It was just stuck inside me, waiting for it's great unleash to unveil.

I leaned against a tree out of breath, loud pants passing my dry lips. My vision was somewhat blurry due to my red hair being in front of my eyes, with my left hand I pushed my hair to the side, clearing my vision. 'Kio, Naegi... I'm sorry brothers, I can't stand to stay back at the compound any longer. I'm leaving.' I thought sadly.

"Kani!"

"Kanaye, where are you!"

My eyes flew open, 'Kio, Naegi...' They found me.

I lowered my chakra, hopefully concealing it enough. I ran behind a bush and covered myself with some branches and grass. I was suddenly grabbed by the back if my collar and yanked up harshly. Sputtering, I grabbed onto my captor and brought my head onto his. He cursed as I ran off.

"Kani! There you are, why did you run from the compound?" Kio asked, his dark red eyed narrowed, not taking too long for him to find me.

I bit my lip, not wanting to answer. First, I hit hit me, and now he knows I ran away.. Could this get any worse? Naegi walked next to him, his eyes widening at the sight of me.

"Kanaye!" My older brother Naegi, shouted. "What the heck? Why'd you leave so suddenly?!"

I winced at his voice, "...I couldn't stay there any longer.." I whispered, falling to my knees as tears welled up in the corner of my eyes.

Naegi glared at me, marching towards me he grabbed ahold of my arm, yanking me up off the ground. I yelped.

He pulled me to his chest, embracing me tightly. "You scared me to death, Kanaye you idiot." He whispered in the crook of my neck, "Next time, i'll lock you in your room. Don't you dare try to run away again."

Kio walked over to me and Naegi, "Exactly. Kani...it's hard for all of us, not just you. We hate the clan with you, but what do you expect to do when we could be killed in a mere second! Nothing, right? Just be careful, the clan leaders aren't going to be happy if they see us out here. Let's head back." Kio said.

"Okay, i'm sorry..." I muttered as I stood up and walked back to our clans compound very slowly.

We made it in minutes, Naegi, Kio, and I had to try to sneak back inside the house without getting caught by our clans guards or leaders. If we were caught we could all be beaten or worse, one of us could be killed in front of the other two.. I bit my lip and screed the surroundings. We were all crouched down behind a big bush that wouldn't give our position away at all. 'Theres two guards on the left side of the compound, they have weapons so we should try to avoid them at best,' I thought, looking off to the right side of the compound. 'Three guards, all unarmed.. Perfect. We can got through there.'

I poked Naegi, the smarter one. "What, Kanaye?" He whispered.

"I know a way to get back without getting caught." I stated.

Kio glanced at me, "tell us then, don't hold back out on us. What's the plan?" Kio asked, quietly moving closer to me.

I grinned lightly, "We go around those idiots on the right side of the compound. They're unarmed and are most likely the newbies the clan recruited for guards. We should be safe going through there for now." I explained.