Innocent(Roe Saunders One-Shot)

You had been living with Roe Saunders for years, and over the course of your time together, you had become boyfriend and girlfriend. You weren't a cop, so when Carrie Wells called you, you knew it was serious.

You ran into the alley to find Roe standing over a dead body, his hands soaked with blood. He was visibly anxious as he spoke to Carrie. When he saw you, he went still, then turned back to Carrie. "What is (Y/N) doing here? Carrie, why is she here? I don't want her to see me like this." You tried not to cry, you hated seeing Roe like this. "Roe? Roe. It's okay. I called her, thought it was right for her to be here." Carrie assured him. You walked closer to Roe. "You gotta understand, (Y/N). He had a gun, I saw it. I wouldn't of- I didn't-" It was his first time and he was terrified. You put your hands on either side of Roe's face, forcing him to look at you. "You don't have to prove anything to me, Roe. We're going to get through this together. Now, let's get you cleaned up."

When you got back to the office, Roe was explaining his story to Mike. "It's a solid story and you have got to stop telling it." You heard Mike say. Everyone was being so kind and helpful about the whole thing. A tall man with glasses entered. He was shouting. He was the Father of the victim and he was searching for Roe. "I don't wanna meet anyone's boss, I just wanna talk to the man that killed my son." You made sure that Roe was far away from Mr Jacobs, he didn't need this trouble.

It wasn't long before there was another commotion. You followed the crowd to find everyone huddled around a monitor. Mr Jacobs had taken hostages including Nina, who you happened to know quite well. Roe had become very agitated and he refused to go home despite Mike's suggesting him to. Al was less gentle about it. "What are you still doing here?!" Roe was worried for Nina. "Look, I know you wanna help, but this is the worst possible place for you to be right now. Go home. And that's an order." You thanked Al, but Roe just went to the lab.

(Roe's POV)

I couldn't go home. Not now. The lab felt like a good place to be for now. Jo walked in behind me. "I heard the residue test was negative?" She nodded and looked to be concerned. "That gun'll turn up. We'll get through this. Besides,  you've got (Y/N) and she's there for you more than you know." I nodded. "You know I's figured one day I might have to shoot somebody, even spent a lot of time wondering how that might feel." She gave me a solemn smile. "You were doing your job, you should not feel guilty about this." Jo was probably right, I left her and went to find (Y/N).

(Author's POV)

Roe had shown up again. "Hey, (Y/N). Can I tell you something." You brightened up. "Of course Roe! You can tell me anything." He looked down. "Um... I've been, um... playing the alley over and over in my head... and, um... it seems like the more I do the, the fuzzier my memory becomes and... I don't know if I'm remembering or imagining. And I can't tell the difference." He pulled a hand down his chin and you could see him tearing up. You found yourself unable to reply as you just watched him. He put a smile on as he shook his head. The corner of his mouth continued to twitch up as he blinked the tears back. "Maybe he didn't have a gun. I don't know anymore." He was exhausted. You decided that you were going to help the investigation. You had zero experience, but you wanted to do what you could, so you started talking to Carrie.

Something had happened with the hostages, you were prepared to check it out, but Carrie encouraged you to stay where you were.

(Roe's POV)

I knocked on the door. This was for Nina and the other hostages. I couldn't just hide anymore. "Who's there?" I heard the voice of Mr Jacobs. "Detective Roe Saunders. I'm the one who shot your son." By now, I had attracted a crowd. But it was too late, Mr Jacobs opened the door. "Get in. How do I know that you're really the one who shot my son." I looked to Nina, hoping she would do the right thing. "Tell him Nina." She was hesitant, but got to it eventually.