New Goal (Dwayne Hoover One-Shot)

You had been volunteering at the Little Miss Sunshine pageant for a few years now. Every year you promised it would be your last, but you somehow always got dragged back. All the girls were the same and nothing ever changed, so you don't know why you held out hope for something different. Once upon a time you would have been crazy about this sort of thing, the extravagant costumes, the great audience. However, you learned early on in life that your place was to be backstage. You couldn't believe that you were getting jealous of children, but you could easily guess where their lives were headed. Perfectly gorgeous, popular futures were awaiting them.

You were distracted from your spiralling thoughts by a nearby inquisition. One family had arrived a few minutes late and were not being received with understanding. Catching the expression of the little girl who couldn't be farther from the normal contestant, you felt an instant connection. Using as much courage as you could to defy your higher-ups, you made an offer "I could put you in the system. It will only take five minutes." You waved off the family's appreciation. That was when you noticed him. You could feel your cheeks warming as you tried to focus on the task at hand. You were notorious for developing feelings for any guy you laid eyes on, but your heart melted at the thought of him coming here to support his little sister.

You became busier as the show got underway. Having to deal with the demands of entitled brats and their parents, you didn't have much more time to think about your developing crush. That was until he walked into the dressing room. You realised you were staring and tried to give the family some distance. You still overheard their conversation though. He was trying to convince her not to go on. You didn't want to interfere, but knew how important it was. Stepping in and trying to be authoritative, you addressed Olive. "We've only got five minutes, it's time to go." You held out your hand for her to take and gave her a reassuring smile. After you lead her away from her family you knelt down to look her in the eye and said "You have to make sure that you are doing this for yourself, nobody else matters right now. Whatever happens, you are an inspiration to me." She gave you a hug before taking her place at the side of the stage.

Nothing could have prepared you for the performance that followed. It was unexpected, yet somehow completely fitting. It was more entertaining than anything else you had ever seen on that stage. Not to mention the moment when her very supportive family joined in. Although you had been focused on Olive, as you should have, your attention was now brought back to her brother. Were you an awful person for using your volunteer work to stare at boys? In your defence, he was the first one you had ever seen in the audience, let alone showing off his moves. This was quickly becoming a dangerous level of obsession for someone that you would never see again.

You decided to busy yourself with packing things up immediately after the show ended. You had to distract yourself from any unrealistic expectations you tended to have. However, it wasn't as easy to avoid the Hoover family as you thought. "There you are, we've been looking all over for you!" This statement from Olive's mother confused you until she explained that they all wanted to say thank you for all your help. She introduced the whole gang to you as you aimed a small wave in Olive's direction. "I was just doing my job and it was all well worth it! You, little lady, have something very special, don't lose that. And the rest of you!" You couldn't help but look at Dwayne for that last part, immediately growing embarrassed as his eyes were on you. The moment passed as soon as it had begun, making you question if you had seen things correctly anyway.

The Hoover family began the convoluted process of starting their car. It had become second nature and been well practised, but Dwayne had other things on his mind. As Olive jumped in, he spoke up. "Wait! Can we stop for a second." They all looked at him, but continued their pushing. It was his dad that replied. "You know that's a tricky one, Buddy." Dwayne stood still in place. "It's an emergency. I've found a new goal." Not giving anyone a chance to say no, Dwayne ran back inside. When he got to you, he was out of breath but didn't want to waste any more time. "I just have to say... I think you're pretty fucking spectacular... and beautiful... and it will kill me if I never get to see you again." You involuntarily clapped a hand over your mouth, feeling as though your own thoughts had been read. Realising you had been silent all this time, you tried to muster your breath. "Either I'm not so crazy after all, or... we both are and were actually just made for each other, because I feel the exact same way."

You followed Dwayne out of the building, feeling grateful that you had stuck it out all these years. It had all been worthwhile after all. You waved goodbye to the Hoover family, watching as they drove off. When they were still close enough that you could hear them, you caught Dwayne celebrating and being congratulated by those around him. You fell impossibly more in love with him.