The Golden Trio Once More

Draco never came back; his absence the next morning was keenly felt. Harry was drowning in guilt over the things that he had said. He couldn't help but wonder what Draco was up to. Would he return to Hogwarts or not? Harry certainly hadn't given him any reason to.

He jumped at the sound of a knock on his door. It had to be the Order. Once they had located him, he was forced into an agreement with Headmaster Dumbledore. He could stay at the Leaky Cauldron, but they would be posting a guard on him. Part of that agreement also included allowing the Order to escort Harry back to Hogwarts. Recent intelligence reports had called into question the safety of the Hogwart's Express.

When he opened the door, he was surprised to see Ron and Hermione waiting on the other side.

"Hi, Harry," Hermione mumbled nervously. "They said we could ride with you."

Ron gave him a weak smile.

"Just give me a second," Harry replied, his heart thundering frantically in his chest as he turned to grab his things.

Dobby rushed to his side. "Please, let Dobby handle this," he begged, grabbing Harry's trunk. "Harry Potter should go be with his friends."

"Thanks Dobby." Harry smiled half-heartedly. "You've been an immense help to me."

Dobby took a few deep breaths to hold back the flood of tears that were threatening to break through. "Dobby was happy to do it. Harry Potter is Dobby's dearest friend."

Harry winced internally. He hadn't been a good friend to anyone lately. Certainly not to Dobby, not to Draco, and not... He glanced guiltily at his other two friends. They were shifting anxiously in the doorway.

"Lead the way," he requested with forced cheerfulness. They both smiled wanly back at him and started walking down the hall, leading him to a vehicle parked out front.

It appeared to be just your typical black four-door sedan on the outside, but the inside was more like a luxury private jet. There was a bar at one end and several different sections of seating. Ron and Hermione made their way to a cluster of chairs that Ginny and Neville were already seated at. A few members of the Order sat far enough away to allow them some privacy. Once over his initial shock, Harry took the seat next to Neville and across from Ron and Hermione.

His skin was crawling under Ron's intense scrutinizing gaze.

"So, where's Malfoy?" Ron inquired at last. "Did the bastard finally show his true colors?"

Harry felt his stomach twist into guilty knots. "No," he muttered regretfully. "I did."

"Eh, the wanker probably had it coming," Ron replied with an indifferent shrug.

"Not really," Harry corrected, his expression morose.

Ron grumbled, but didn't say anything more. Everyone was on edge – tension so thick that it made him nervous to even breathe too loudly.

"Haven't seen you in a while," Ginny blurted abruptly, unable to bear another second of awkward silence. "How are you feeling?"

Neville gaped at her incredulously.

"Better," Harry admitted sullenly.

Hermione gave Ginny a reassuring smile and took up the next line of questioning. "Did you make any progress with your schoolwork?"

Harry looked at her with a pained expression that said it all. She scrunched up her face in thought.

"How much do you have left, maybe I can help?" she offered.