Poison

'Okay,' Nick says 'let's see what's going on here.' He took some of my blood, so he could run some tests. He wanted to make sure it wasn't cancer or something of that sort. He's looking the computer screen, there's an array of numbers and charts all over it. 

I am leaning against Loki for support, I can hardly stand on my own. I'm panting, it hurts to breathe, Loki's rubbing circles on my back to assure me everything will be okay. I see Nick's eyebrows knit together, shock spreads over his face. He looks at Loki and I, trying to find the right words. I feel Loki tense up beside me.

'How is it possible that you have poison in you blood?' I widen my eyes at him.

'What?' Loki asks, before I can say a word.

'Is there any way, either of you can think of, that could have caused this to happen?'

I look down trying to figure out what could have caused this. I remember the night we came back from Earth. 'Liam...' I say. ' that's the only thing that it could possibly be.' 

I look at Loki, his expression is unreadable. Though I know he's angry, and worried. He pinches the bridge of his nose and closes his eyes. I bring him closer to my body and wrap my arms around his torso. He wraps his arms around me, I feel his nose on my head. He holds me tighter. 'Is there a cure?' I ask still in Loki's embrace. Nick sighs, ' No, there isn't. Not on earth anyway.' Loki grabs a hold of me harder. 

I feel something wet on my head, Loki is crying silently. 'Nick, can you give us a moment?' He nods and leave Loki and I. Loki puts his face in neck, he starts to tremble uncontrollably. I hold him tightly, afraid that if I let him go he will break into a million pieces. I pull back from him and put my forehead to his. He takes a shaky breathe. I put my hands on either side of his face. I look at his watery icy blue eyes. He rubs my arms, to show his affection. 'Maybe Liam knows something.' I say to him. Loki looks at me like I am insane. 'I will not let you go near that monster.' He says.

'I am the only person he will talk to. He could have the answer as to whether or not there is a cure.'

'You heard Nick, there is no cure.'

'On Earth.' I say, 'there may be one in another world.'

' How could he have gotten a poison from another realm?'

' How did you get an entire army of aliens to try to take over New York? There are ways through the universe, even Heimdal cannot see.'

Loki sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose 'This is a terrible idea.'

' But its the only chance for us to find out what this poison is that is inside of me.' I grab his elbows, ' I hate to break it to you, but you are not going to be able to raise these children alone.' I smile, Loki rolls his eyes at me.

'How was your trip to Midgard?' Heimdal asks. He stands in his usual erect posture, his golden armor glimmering faintly in the light of the bifrost. 'We have had better trips to earth.' I say, Heimdal looks at me confused. 'Nick told me the reason why I have not been well, is because I have poison in my blood.' I say the last part breathless because I still cannot believe it myself. Heimdal's eyes widen slightly, he then returns to his normal face. 'I am sure you will be fine Your Majesty.' I give him a small smile. 

Loki and I walk away from the bifrost and return to the palace. We enter our family chamber's and become bombarded with questions from our son's. 'Let your mother lay down for a while boy's. She needs her rest.' I kiss my husband cheek and walk down the hall to our bedroom door. I open it silently, and walk in. I let the air out of my lungs and go to the closet. I undress, I see my bones are even more noticeable than they were yesterday. I put on a tank top and a pair of Loki's pants that I have to roll three times so I do not step on them. I flop down on my bed and look at the ceiling, I count.

57 cracks

20 beams

I call for Loki, he comes in running to my side.'Is something wrong?' He asks breathless.

' Nothing,' I say shaking my head giving him a look that says duh. ' I was curious if you could bring Marina in here. Since, I will be in this bed until I talk to Liam, I will need some company.' He nods and goes to get Marina.

I sit up and putting back against the head board of the bed. Loki comes in with a sleeping Marina. I smile and he hands her to me, I peck him on the lips and he leaves me with my daughter. I take a deep breath and wince, it's getting harder to breathe. I try as hard as I can not to take deep breath's anymore. I get up and put her in the play pen that Loki and I keep in our room. I put her in it and smile at her, I hold my stomach hoping it will ease some of my pain. I lay down and close my eyes, I cannot sleep. So I start to count backwards from 100 to see if I can sleep. I close my eyes once more.

100

99

98

9-

A combination of pain and fatigue consumes me.