Chapter 4: Late Night

Walking up to Ashton's front door the next day I took a look around. The house was a beautiful three story home with a lovely garden in the front. It looked more homely than my house which was obviously landscaped, his house looked like his mother actually spent time in the garden each week. After knocking, a man answered.

"Hello, I'll let Caden know you're here." His stepdad answered.

"No sir, I'm actually looking for Ashton." I replied

"Really? Ashton finally invited a friend over? That's great! I'll call him down. I'm so sorry for thinking you were looking for Caden it's just that Ashton hasn't really invited anyone over before. " his stepdad responded with his eyes lighting up.

"It's fine, I'm here to work on a project actually." After I said that, he looked less excited but continued smiling.

"Oh well come in dear, I'll let Ashton know you're here. Here you can make yourself comfortable in the living room."

After that, he disappeared up the stairs. The living room was a homely looking space with black leather sofas and a Widescreen television in the front of the room. To the left of the TV was a shelf of DVDS. A few minutes later, Ashton came down the stairs.

"Hey Audrey! Hope you found my house okay. Let's go into the study to work on the project. " he said once I stood up. On our way to the study I discovered that the interior of the house was bigger than it looked on the outside. It was probably half the size of a mansion. The study turned out to be a mix of a library and office. On three walls of the room were bookshelves and the fourth wall, the wall that faces you when you walk in were two desks with computers. He led me to one of the desks.

"Aren't these for your parents?" I inquired.

"No they are for Caden, Elizabeth and I to study." He replied causally.

"Elizabeth?"

"Yeah Caden's sister, she's a freshman at our school."

After an hour or so of working, we got bored and decided to head downstairs into the kitchen for some food. We bumped into Caden.

"Hey Ash, dad told me you have a girl over? I've been trying to get you to make friends for three years and you finally bring home a girl! Congrats!" Caden said putting his hand up for a high five, not yet noticing me.

"N-no what are you talking about? Audrey is here to work on a project." Ashton replied turning red. He stepped to the side to reveal me behind him.

"Hey Caden!" I greeted.

"Oh hey Aud, didn't see you there. How are you?"

"I'm good, and you?"

"Wonderful! Well I'm just heading to the study to do some homework I'll see you guys later." Caden said leaving the room. With that, Ashton began to dig around his pantry. He pulled out some bowls and placed the on a tray. He then put some chips in a bowl and candy in another. He also put some popcorn in another bowl. He then turned around asking.

"Is this okay? I was just thinking we could share these bowls."

"Yeah! It's perfect!"

"Okay let's head back then. Do you want anything to drink?"

"Just a water please."

"Okay." He grabbed two water bottles and headed back towards the study. When we arrived at the study, Caden was at the desk next to ours with an AP history book open. Sitting back down, we began to munch on the food the Ashton brought down. After some time, Ashton and I had almost half of the research done. Mr. Walters walked in the room.

"Hey Audrey you're still here? It's almost midnight, do you want me to drive you home?"

"No I'm fine I can drive myself thanks though."

"You sure? I don't mind, it'd make me feel more comfortable anyways."

"Yes I'm sure."

"Okay well text one of my sons when you get home so that we know you are safe."

"Will do sir, good night!" I replied getting up and putting my stuff back in my backpack.

"Bye Caden bye Ashton! I'll see you guys on Monday!"

"Bye!" They both replied, Caden with his head still buried in his book.

Getting home I saw a note from my mom. It read:

"Hey honey, dad and I are at a dinner party for the company. We won't be back until early morning. We tried to check up on you before we had to go but you weren't home. I hope you got home safe.

Love, mom"

I changed into my pajamas, texted Ashton to say I was home and then decided to watch some television since it was a Friday night and I had nothing to do. I must have fallen asleep since when I opened my eyes I saw a blanket over me and the TV was off. Mom and dad were also in the kitchen cooking breakfast. Getting off the sofa and making my way into my room I checked my phone. Turns out I received several messages from my friends. Courtney's read:

"Hey why were you at Cade's house last night? I bumped into him today and he was saying how he saw you yesterday night."

Kayla's read:

"Heyy.. Have you been ignoring me? You aren't at lunch as often anymore."

I replied to both of them about the project I was working on with Ashton. It was annoying how they always seem to only care about my whereabouts when I've stopped paying attention to them. With that I walked back into the kitchen to greet my parents good morning.

"Morning Mom, morning dad!" I said brightly.

"Hey sweetheart, your brother called last night about you staying with him in LA during your break."

"Oh yeah he texted me about that. Can I go? I haven't seen Wes in a while."

"Of course you can. We are trying to find tickets for you to fly out to see him. We'll let you know when we get them okay?"