Chapter 1: Who is he?

Hi everyone! If you are reading this then thanks so much for checking out my story! This is my first book on wattpad! I hope you enjoy it :) Also this is not edited so if you spot any grammar or spelling errors not be afraid to tell me! Thanks!

_____________________________________________________________________________

        Almost everyone desires someone they can call their best friend. They want to know that no matter what, someone will always be there for them, someone will pick them up when they fall and will always be honest with them. If one is lucky, she or he will have a group of best friends.  I am not one of those people, I do not even have someone who I can call my best friend. 

        To most of the other people at my school I am Audrey Miller, the girl who is smart, popular, and always happy. In reality, the happiness is just a mask. Although I have friends, I always feel like an outsider amoung them. I am never the first person any of them call when they need someone to talk to. I am never the first one anyone calls when they need someone to hang out with. At times I believe that they just tolerate me as a friend. That they do not truly want to be my friend. I would say something, but I do not know how to approach the topic with them. 

        Every morning it is the same routine in school. Get to school at 7:30, go up to the hallway near the library and then gather there with friends until school begins. While I sit there studying for any exams I have that day, my friends all talk with each other. They are often broken up into three sub groups. Out of the three groups only one of them truly made me feel like an outsider. That was the group with Kayla, Courtney, and Marissa. While my other friends have often told me to not worry about that group since the three of them were only concerned with themselves anyways, I can't help but be hurt whenever they do something. They always ignore you until they need you, which is very rude and something I despise. 

        "Audrey. Audrey! Audrey!!" I hear a voice interrupt my thoughts. 

        "AUDREY! WHY WON"T YOU ANSWER ME!" shouts Marissa. 

        "Sorry! What is it?" I reply.

        "Good morning, why do you keep ignoring me???"

        "I wasn't , I was just zoning out sorry."

        "Well it's rude to ignore me." she replies back annoyed. Thankfully, the homeroom bell decided to ring at that moment.

        Later at lunch, I am sitting with Marissa, Kayla, and some of our other friends. While Marissa and Kayla are talking about these boys, I am talking to Bethany, a girl in my English class, about The Great Gatsby. A book that we have to write an essay on for English. Mid conversation Kayla interrupts asking what we are talking about. We told her, and then she decided to give her opinion on the subject, which was just "I hate all the characters in that book." While she goes on her rant about how all the characters are horrible, I look around the cafeteria. As I look around, my eyes land on Caden Walter's table. While he and his friends are laughing at something on his phone, I see a boy sitting off the side of the table looking uncomfortable. I asked Bethany who he was. She replied

"Oh that's Ashton King. He's Caden's stepbrother."

"Caden has a stepbrother?" I ask.

"Yeah! His mother remarried three years ago..."

"Why have I never seen him before?"

"He's really quiet, he's been here for the past three years though."

Throughout the last ten minutes of lunch, I kept looking over at him. Each time I looked at him, he seemed to not be enjoying the conversation around him. 

The bell rang signalling the end of lunch. As I walk out of the cafeteria, I see Ashton drop his books by accidentally. Since I am close by, I pick up his Pre-calculus book. 

"Here's your Pre-calc book." I say.

"T-t-thanks. I'm Ashton." He replies.

"I'm Audrey, are you a junior?"

"Yeah, are you?"

"Yes." By this time we had walked to an intersection in the hallway, "Are you going straight?"

"No, I'm going to the left down the science hallway. You?"

"I'm going straight. I'll see you around!" I answered continuing down the hallway to my Photography class.

That night, while I was finishing up my homework, I recieved a notifcation from Facebook Messenger on my phone. It read:

Ashton King: Hey! This is the same Audrey who helped me pick up my books earlier today right? 

I smiled as I typed back my response:

Audrey Miller: Yeah it's me! What's up?

Ashton King: Nothing just finishing up my math homework. You?

Audrey Miller: Same here, what section of math are you in?

Ashton King: I'm in Ms. Knight's Fourth Period Honors Pre-calc.You?

Audrey Miller: Same, except I have her Second Period.

Ashton King: Cool! Maybe we could study together sometime?

Audrey Miller: Totally! We should study for the test on Friday together!

Ashton King: We should! Want to meet Thursday after school at the library to study?

Audrey Miller: Sure! Well it's getting late, I'll talk to you soon. Good night.

Ashton King: Good night!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Tell me what you think!