"Yes, good afternoon, who do you seek?" Sarah asked. Shit! Shit! Shit! Tinu grumbled under breath.

"E kasan ma !" Lanre said and prostrated. Tinu glanced at her mother. Her face was graced with smiles.

"I brought this for you ma." Lanre extended the white roses he had brought along to Sarah.

What? Tinu thought, glaring at Lanre.
"Wow, wonderful. Thanks dear. Please excuse my daughter, she can be grumpy. Please come in."

Seething, Tinu closed the door after Lane entered. He and her mother were already engaging in a conversation.
"so what's your name, son?"

"Olanrewaju Olukanni ma," Lanre answered with a wide smile.

"That's a wonderful name. Ola temi na ma re waju o(my own wealth too will be first.)" Sarah said and Lanre replied with an Amen answering Sarah's indication to sit.

Tinu crossed her hand over her chest as she watched Lanre get comfortable and converse with her mom as if they have known each other for ages. Lanre was there telling her mom about his schooling in Canada and Sarah sat there paying the utmost attention to him.

Sarah glanced up at Tinu. "Wait, my dear-" she said to Lanre and turned to Tinu, "Tinuke, go and get some refreshments for our guest." She turned back to Lanre, "my dear, water or drinks?"

"uhm, water is just fine."

"ah, oti o(No o), are you sure?"

"Yes ma'am," he replied.

Sarah turned back to Tinu who was staring daggers at Lanre's skull, wishing her eyes could emit arrows that would pierce his skull through. "Tinu, get the suya I got from Aminu also. Oya, se komo komo(be fast)."

Tinu gasped. She had been asking her mom for it. She grudgingly moved to the kitchen.

Lanre moved to the edge of the chair. He felt uneasy. He felt the beginnings of sweat on his nose. "Ehm...ma... I wanna say something."

"What is it, my dear?"

"I just wanna apologize for my sister's behavior. She was not raised like that. I don't know what came over her. I am really sorry about it ma'am."

Confusion clouded Sarah's features. "What are you talking about?"

Lanre bent his head. "uhm.... Laide.. Ma."

"Laide?"

"One of Tinu's friends that came here the other day." Lanre explained and watched the puzzled look on Sarah's face fade away.

Sarah stood up. "Ehn Ehn." She scanned the living room as if searching for something lost. Lanre stood up as well. She then turned back at him and gave him am eerie smile. She moved closer to him and patted his back. "It's fine. Get out of my house before I call the police"

Lanre opened his mouth to speak but no words emerged. Tinu came into the room, carrying a tray. She dropped it and turned to her mother and Lanre. "What is going on here?"

Sarah turned to her daughter, looked at her as if inspecting every part of her and pulled her to herself.

"Leave." She said to Lanre again and Tinu watched as Lanre made his way to the door, looking dejected. What had happened in the space of time she had been in the kitchen?

Lanre closed the door behind him and Sarah detangled herself from Tinu. Without looking at her daughter, she ordered, "Go to your room."

Tinu looked at her mother as if she had grown two heads She was still standing there when Sarah went up the stairs while muttering, "I need a paracetamol."