My boss shot me a stolid look and went out back, probably to smoke his filthy cigarettes. With a shake of my head, I turned to face the next customer, trying to push the unnerving thoughts and feelings aside.

After a hectic and pressured day, I was happy when my shift finally ended. Muttering goodbye to my boss, I started walking home. Sometimes I preferred leaving the car — it was just a twenty minute walk to work.

Adam had texted me to say he was waiting for me at my house and I couldn't help feeling ambivalent. As much as I did want to fix whatever had happened between us, I was afraid things wouldn't go back to normal that easily. I felt sick to my stomach when I thought about what I had done to him but still contemplated whether or not to tell him. I wanted to tell him because the guilt was eating me alive but while confessing might make me feel relieved it also meant hurting him. At least with not mentioning it, I would be the only one suffering.

Turning down the street, I spotted my house and Adam sitting on the porch steps. He rose with a smile when he saw me coming, holding his arms out for me.

Hugging him tightly, I felt tears well up in my eyes. How did we end up here? I wished I could turn back time to a week ago, when I knew nothing about Harry's whereabouts. I sniffed a little but smiled as I felt Adam's hands caress my back. "I'm so happy you're here. I can't wait to just have a night in with food and cuddling," I said.

Adam jerked slightly, taking a breath and separating himself from me. "Um, about that, babe. I have to go out of town, again. I'm really sorry," he said and winced.

I blinked, confusion probably written all over my face. "Again?"

"Yeah, work is crazy right now," he said and shrugged.

What could I say? Not like I was about to stop him from doing his job. But hell, it hurt. I needed him, no matter how selfish that made me feel. A voice in the back of my mind told me this was far too similar to the last time he went away and it made me uneasy.

Nodding slowly, I started to make my way up the steps. "Okay. How long will you be gone?"

"Just for the night, should be back tomorrow afternoon. See you then?"

"Sure." I opened the door to step inside but Adam stopped me with a hand on my arm.

"What's wrong?" He sounded genuinely concerned, which made me frown.

"Nothing, it's just that I had been looking forward to spend the night with you."

"Aw, you're so cute, baby. Don't pout. I won't be gone for long," he smirked, seeming to think I wasn't being upset for real.

"Have a safe trip, Adam. Call me if you like." I kissed him quickly on the lips and this time he let me go inside.

As soon as the door closed behind me, I leaned against it and inhaled deeply. A stupid idea started to form in my mind and before I knew it, I was out of the door again. Running to my car, I got in and turned the ignition. When I pulled out of the driveway, I could just make out the tail lights on Adam's car disappearing around the corner.

Feeling like a complete psycho, I started to drive after him at a safe distance. I didn't know why I was stalking him but something told me he was lying. I guess it takes a lier to know another.

Creeping behind him for a good ten minutes, I prayed he wouldn't recognise my vehicle. When he took a left and parked his car outside a huge block of flats, I slowed down.

Turning the engine off, I slid down my seat and watched as he got out. He looked around a couple of times before locking the door and heading to the entrance. I saw him pick up his phone and write something, then he just stood there for a while. What the hell was he doing? What was this place? Certainly not his office, that I knew.