Isolated: Kryoz

She sat on the sofa, surrounded by drunk people who stumbled over their own feet, and junkies that were munching on pizza slices. Her Juul was held loosely between her fingers, as she twirled it absentmindedly. She hadn't asked anyone if it was okay to vape in the house, but based on the joints being passed around, it was safe to assume that a little cotton candy smell wouldn't hurt.

She lifted the vape pen to her lips, looked into the crowd of people around the old video game systems, and took a hit of it. (name) was unsure of whether she should ghost it, or if she should let out a cloud, so she compromised, and let out an opaque breath of vapor. Almost immediately, it changed the smell surrounding her, from a dark, deep scent to a lighter, sweeter smell. The cotton candy pod was her favorite, but they were hard to come by, so she always used them sparingly. 

There was a constant rushing of people moving in and out of the living room where (name) sat, so she had folded her legs up to fit onto the couch. People had already tripped over her feet earlier in the night, and had practically gotten trampled in the ever-moving crowd. She had apologized to one person in particular, who stood out a bit. He was quiet, and didn't reek of weed or alcohol the way most people did. He had apologized to her with a sheepish smile, and had walked on after making sure she was okay. 

*

"I-- Oh, shit, I'm so sorry," he said, trying to talk loudly over the bass-boosted music that practically drowned everything out, except for obnoxiously loud laughter and the conversations of the people that were drinking the night away. It was the end of finals week, so it was completely understandable, but (name) had no intention of even coming in the first place. 

"It's okay," she said, looking up from her familiar grey-and-black vape pen. The boy had soft blue eyes and bleached-blond hair, that was growing out brown. He looked concerned, but also like he didn't want to bother her. He smelt like cinnamon spice, and when he spoke, his voice was gentle but secure. 

He noticed the Juul in her hands. "You vape too?"

She had nodded and smiled. Before she could even begin to ask him, he pulled an identical vape pen from his pocket and smiled brightly. 

He winked in a flirtatious way, before taking a hit and walking off. His cloud smelled like cinnamon and sugar, and she grinned, looking away from where he walked. At this party, it was hard to find another sober person. Especially one that looked like him.

*

She stood up from the couch, still twirling her pen. Where had the mystery boy gone? It was too loud to try to find her friend that'd dragged her there, so (name) started to walk outside. She held her arms to her chest, and frequently said 'excuse me,' or 'behind you,' trying to break through the thickly knit crowd. The fraternity house was far too small for the amount of people that had shown up, and frankly, (name) was surprised that no one in the neighborhood had called the police to file at least a noise complaint. She continued making her way to the back porch, where a group of guys and a few girls were passing blunts around. She walked past them and sat on the grass, looking up at the stars. 

When she felt like she could breathe again, freed from the stuffy house, she ripped her Juul again, this time letting out a solid white cloud of vapor. The sugary-sweet smell floated over her and went with the wind, which fell back against the house. 

"Hey, Cotton Candy," said a voice, and she looked up, letting her eyes rest on a somewhat familiar face. It was the blond boy, with a smile on his face. 

"H-hey," she answered, almost self-conscious of her flavor of choice. 

He smiled a bit more, his grin encompassing the lower half of his face, eventually reaching his eyes. "Too hot to handle in there?" Without warning, or her noticing, he'd walked over and sat next to her, a complete stranger, in the dewy grass. 

She shook her head and smiled, putting her pen back to her lips and taking a softer rip, remembering the amount of liquid left in the pod. "Nah, I just don't know anyone here." As she spoke, wisps of the vapor left her lips. 

He nodded silently, and pushed his hair out of his eyes. It was dark outside, but there were little lanterns lining the fence of the backyard. At some points, she would look over and catch him looking back. Sometimes they would lock eyes and stay that way, as little smiles developed, and other times they would just look away. 

A drunk man stumbled onto the back porch, crashing into someone else, and spilled his beer all over himself. He yelled some obscenities, but (name) and the Mystery Boy had just looked at each other and tried with all their willpower to not laugh as hard as they could. 

*

Eventually, they got themselves into a game of twenty questions, asking each other about pets and siblings and the like. 

"I never asked your name," he said, after a short yawn. 

She decided to flirt with him, and smiled. "Why don't you guess it?" 

He tilted his head and looked at her in an 'are-you-serious?' manner, but went with it anyway. "Mary-Ellen Georgiana Samantha... Smith." He looked at her proudly, chuckling at her expression. 

Her initial frown at his challenge turned into giggles that lasted a few minutes, and when she caught her breath, she replied, "No, it's (name)." 

His blue eyes seemed to glow in the lantern light, and he looked into her eyes. "That's more beautiful than anything I could've guessed." 

Her cheeks dusted pink, almost immediately, and out of habit, she lifted her pen up to her lips. She could hear the smirk in his voice as he spoke. 

"Now you have to guess." 

She blew the vapor away from him and looked up at the stars for a moment before turning back towards him and looking at his birthmarks. "Joshua." 

He almost looked shocked, but regained his composure an instant after it showed on his face. "N-nice try, but no." 

She bit back a smirk at his little trip-up, but clicked her tongue and looked away again. "Hmm... I dunno, maybe... John." With the last word, she watched him tap his Juul against his bottom lip. 

"How... how did you know that?" He asked, his voice deepening, as he took a hit from the pen. 

She grinned, and pointed at the words written sloppily across his forearm. "It says, 'John sucks dick.' Is that true, John?" 

He blushed a little, clearly surprised that she'd noticed in the dark, but regained confidence. "Only on the third Wednesday of the month of Septovember."

She laughed and leaned her head against his shoulder, breathing in the cinnamon cloud that he breathed out. He bit his lip to hide a smile as he leaned his head against hers.

"Are you sober enough to drive home?" She asked, almost whispering. 

He chuckled softly, and whispered back. "This is my frat, baby. I am home."

She started giggling loudly, and had to pull her head away from his to avoid knocking heads.

He watched her with a big grin, and loving eyes. "What? I'm serious."

She looked back at him, mirroring the look in his eyes. "Do you need somewhere to stay?" 

He blushed slightly. "I'm sure your couch is wildly comfortable, but you don't have to--" 

"My house has no central heating, and it's fifty degrees, Cinnamon. You're not sleeping on my couch if you stay over." Her cheeks were raging a dark red, but her voice held a certain confidence. "Plus, your roommates just hotboxed your entire house. I can't let you sleep with all those toxic fumes."

Although his face was also red, he looked her dead in the eyes and replied, "Yeah, I'd much rather stay with you, Cotton Candy."