So Unfair: SMii7Y

"It's so unfair, the things you do," the radio proclaimed. "It's so unfair..."

She nodded along, tears dripping down her cheeks and onto her legs. Her eyes were gleaming with the shine from the tears, but she couldn't stop. She'd tried, willed herself to stop, but nothing would help.

"It's so unfair, the things you do," the gentle voice coming from the song called out. He'd left again tonight, and was posting things to his Instagram that said he wasn't going to come back the same.

He'd done this at least six times in the past month, and each time was more painful than the last. How was she supposed to handle it?

The song played again, sitting on repeat, as it had been for the past hour, and she didn't have the heart to rotate the song or turn it off. It almost mocked her, but was comforting at the same time.

A sample from Adventure Time came through the speakers. "There, there, BMO. It's okay."

Her whines and cries had already awoken the dog, who was lying at her feet. The gentle crying over initially finding the post had escalated into full-blown sobbing, and her arms were covered in red scratches. She was rubbing her shoulders and her arms over and over, but nothing would comfort her. He was gone, he had a girl on his arm, and he would most likely come home with her, completely forgetting about (name).

It wasn't that their relationship was official, or even stable, but watching him morph into someone new before her own eyes had a sick twist to it. She loved him, she knew now that she did, but everything he did made her hate herself for it.

Her dog, a dalmatian puppy, stood on its stubby legs and waddled towards her. She laughed through her tears, a sharp, insincere sound. "You look like you broke every leg bone you have, Chester."

She scooped up the puppy and hugged him tightly. "I love you. I know you don't know what I'm saying, but Chester, I love you so much. I'm sorry for what it's been like here, the past few weeks, I'm so..." Her voice broke, as she'd finally managed to stop crying, and melted back into it. "I'm just so sorry, Chester, I wish I could fix it, I wish--"

There was loud stomping outside the door, and she quickly grabbed her speaker, turned it off, and reached up to switch the light off. When she was done, she crumpled back into a ball on the floor, and waited for the inevitably drunk pair to stumble around in the dark.

Her knees were pulled to her chest, and she was rocking back and forth, with Chester in her arms. She knew that once he came into the house, she would have to leave. It was scary enough that he'd driven, as she listened to his keys slam onto the counter. She was as silent as possible, not even taking the chance to sniffle or shakily breathe.

She watched in the pitch dark apartment, as her roommate for the past two years walked through the hallway towards his room. They were laughing and giggling as they kicked over various things on the floor, and she couldn't help but want to be anywhere but there. She stood herself up, and grabbed her puppy off the floor. "C'mon, baby. We're going to go for a walk." Chester's ears perked up, and she sniffled, grabbing his leash.

She carried him down the stairs, knowing that the gaps would be too much for the short dog. When he grew up, there was no way she would be able to carry him anymore, though.

She wanted the situation inside her shared apartment to be over. She wanted that more than she wanted the sun to rise the next morning, or the oxygen to be breathable. She just wanted the bimbo that walked in with him to stumble back out. She wanted to be his girl.

The worst part is, he knew it.

Years ago, before they'd ever shared an apartment, she'd kissed him on accident, misreading the situation. Things had been awkward, but it was in the past. Two years ago, she'd asked a few friends going to her college if they wanted to share a place that was close. He'd taken her up on it, offering to pay his half of the rent, and some of the bills.

He figured that, because she'd had a few boyfriends since the incident, that she'd lost feelings for him or something. But she hadn't, not anything close to that. The people she'd dated since then, had always left, saying the same thing, that she hadn't shown any romantic attraction, and Jaren had cheered her up. She used to date more people and just break it off, to garner his attention, because he was such a great person to be around. He made her laugh, and his warm smile would assure her safety in a pool of molten lava.

She walked alongside Chester and stepped over a crack in the sidewalk. As the puppy walked towards a tree stump, she stood there and thought some more. It'd been half an hour since she'd left, probably more than enough time for both of them to have fallen asleep, or to have left to party some more.

She felt nauseous. Sick to her stomach. No longer were butterflies flying around her stomach whenever she even thought of his name, but now she could just taste the sickly sweet bile.

She hung her head on the walk back to the complex with Chester.

She repeated the same motions. Pick up puppy. Walk up sixteen stairs. Put puppy down. Unlock door. Open door. Close door.

She hung up the leash, and walked towards her room, but instead ran into the girl looking into her room.

"Hello?" She sniffled. "Can I help you?"

The girl stumbled around drunkenly, trying to look at (name). "Y-yeah." She hiccuped, and continued. "Is this your room? It's so... cute. It reminds me of my sister's room."

The smell of alcohol and cigarettes rolled out of her mouth and off of her clothes into (name)'s nose, and she wanted more than ever to vomit.

"Yes. It's my room."

Jaren walked in, shirtless, and grinned stupidly. "Hey, (name)! This is my girlfriend, Kristen."

She pushed the girl out of the way and whistled for her puppy, slamming the door to her room, and sliding down the door.

"Wow, she's kind of a bitch," the brunette in heels mumbled, no doubt wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Nah, don't say that. She's just going through a hard time right now." His speech was slurred and her heart almost stopped at his words. He wasn't interested in her. She was just going through a hard time. There was no other reason. Not her crippling inability to tell her best friend she loved him; not that he didn't reciprocate those feelings; just that she was in a rough patch and isn't normally like this.

She plugged her earbuds into her phone and played the song again, still on repeat. She crawled onto her bed, cradling Chester like a baby, and sobbed.

***i cried while writing this :')***