Chapter TwentyFive | Falling To Pieces

Start from the beginning

“Everything okay?” Abby asked as Miranda returned.

“Yeah, of course.” She lied, turning to Jess she didn’t want to dwell on it. “So, what do we do first?”

-x-

Hours later, Miranda sat sharing a fruit plate with Emma as Jess and Abby packed everything away. There wasn’t a hair out of place with the simple looking, but rather elegant up-do. It taken longer than she had thought it would when Jess showed her a picture she found online, and Miranda had liked the way the braid had gone down the side of her hairline to sit on top of the low bun at the back.

Emma had asked to put flowers through it to match the floral like design that had the emerald gown sparkling and while Miranda declined, she did let her little assistant help her choose which earrings to wear.

“I think you’ve out down yourself this year Andy!” Jess gushed, taking a minute to appreciate all her hard work. Miranda’s normally clear blue eyes, now appeared to take on a softer shade of green thanks to the eyeshadow that had been carefully applied.

“I agree. I’d kill for your collar bone.” Abby said wistfully, and subconsciously, Miranda instantly touched her neckline where the lace fabric had a retro twist in the off the shoulder neckline.

“Um, thanks. I think?” Miranda laughed and looking at the clock, it was nearly six thirty. Where the hell was Braydon?

She’d tried calling him an hour ago with no response, and at three when she realised his suit had never turned up, she had called the store to be told it was picked up instead. She’d have to leave soon and now she was thinking about it again, her stomach started to churn.

“Andy! Hello? Your phone!” Abby pointed out and glancing down, sure enough her phone was ringing.

“Hey Dad.”

“Hey love, just wondering if you know if your Mother is on her way home yet?” Her father asked.

“Um, I have no idea. I haven’t seen her today.”

“Oh! Right. Well, I must have heard her wrong. Bye!” He quickly hung up and Miranda stared at her phone for a second trying to get over the weirdness of the call. Deciding to try calling Braydon again she had no luck and as Jess started taking her things to the front door, Miranda grabbed her purse.

“Where do you think Braydon is?” Abby whispered, not wanting to mention the B word around Emma since she kept asking when he was going to be home.

“I have some idea, but I can’t be late.” Miranda sighed, slipping into her shoes.

Holding Emma’s hand, she followed Abby and Jess to the elevator. The sisters chatted happily about picking up pizza on the way home and Miranda stared at her reflection in the silver panel over the buttons. She hardly recognised herself. The fake tan only brought back the glow she had after her forest adventure and she rarely ever wore makeup. When she did it wasn’t like this and with her eyelashes a little longer, Jess had made her eyes appear larger too. At risk of sounding vain, she thought she looked beautiful and yet, where was Braydon to tell her that?

The diamonds sparkled from where they hung off her ears and as much as she loved being dressed up and the party that was she was heading too, Miranda couldn’t bring herself to smile as disappointment gnawed on her insides.

“Uncle Baydon?” Emma squealed excitedly, letting go of Miranda’s hand she rushed out of the elevator and beside her, Jess and Abby gasped.

Jess managed to be the first of the three women to walk out of the elevator. In seconds Rory was there, helping her with her bags and Abby followed, stunned into silence.