Six

I stood outside an average looking house, the paint was new and the grass was cut.

I knocked and after a minute it was opened by Ben.

"Hey" he greeted, "come in"

He gestured for me to enter the house.

We walked through the house and into an average kitchen, "want anything to drink before we start?"

"No I'm good, thanks" I replied.

He shrugged before pouring himself a glass of water and leading me down a hallway, then through his bedroom door.

He flopped down on his bed, face first, and I took a seat at his desk.

"So I've got copies of the poem" I started, but was cut off by a sigh, "what?"

"You really wanna dive straight in don't ya?" He said, his voice muffled by his blanket, "I think we should hang out a little first, break the ice and what not"

He sat up now, repositioning himself so he was sitting against the wall.

"Oh yeah?" I questioned, smiling, "and how to you plan on doing that?"

"For starters... what's happened since I left?" He asked.

"Well, mom never got remarried, she says she doesn't want to but I think it would be good for her to get out there ya know?" I ranted, "after you left I refused to make new friends for, like, a year"

"Really?" He asked, smirking.

"Yeah man" I replied, "you were my only real friend... moving on, what about you? How was Oregon?"

"Lame, we actually moved to Chicago after a while" he replied, "it was okay I guess"

"And your mom?"

"She did get remarried, moved from an abusive drunk to a fucking dentist, she's doin good, had two kids with the guy too" he stated, "Matt and Clara, they're good kids"

After a minute of silence I spoke up again, "alright then, are we gonna get started?"

He hummed in response, "okay, like I said I have a copy for you to read off of"

"Wont be necessary" he said, "I know it off by heart"

"Really?" I questioned.

"Yep, its my favourite" he replied.

*

It was now past 7:00 pm and I was still at Ben's house.

We decided to call it a day at around 5:00 and were now playing a videogame and talking about our lives since we were kids.

"What the fuck!" I shouted at the TV, throwing my controller down.

Ben laughed, "have you never played a videogame?"

"Go to hell" I replied, as he laughed.

There was a knock at the door and was opened by Ben's mom.

"Dean, will you be staying for dinner?" She asked.

"If its not a problem" I replied.

"Well its not so you're more than welcome to stay"

"Thank you Mrs Garrett" I said.

She nodded before leaving the room

*

"So Dean" Ben's step dad started, "what does your mom do for work?"

"She's a pediatric nurse at West Bridge General" I replied.

"Oh, thats where I work, maybe I'll run into her one day" he said cheerfully.

Alec Garrett was a tall man, he had greying hair and a short beard.
He was very kind and smiled a lot, unlike Ben's biological father.

Matt was three years old and Clara was seven months.

Matt had his mother's blue eyes and blonde hair, and Clara had her dad's eyes and also had blonde hair.

"The food is lovely Mrs Garrett" I complimented, causing her to blush.

"Thank you Dean, but you can call me Lisa"

I smiled and looked at Ben next to me.
He was already looking at me, a smile on his face.

Hi~
Sorry this took so long

Vote and comment what you thought about this chapter.

-penny✌