Chapter 10

I carry Ross back to our camp and lay him down. Running to the waterfall, I collect water and rush back.

I carefully work water onto Ross's wounds and use a few leaves to stop the blood from rushing out. "Stay with me stay with me," I whisper with a shaky voice. "Stay with me stay."

I tap Ross on the shoulder over and over again. "Wake up, wake up, wake up," I say, tears streaming down my cheeks. "Wake up."

Finally I stop and lay my head down on Ross's chest. 

"There's a hero

If you look inside your heart

You don't have to be afraid

Of what you are

There's an answer

If you reach into your soul

And the sorrow that you know

Will melt away."

I stop and take in a deep breath.

"And then a hero comes along

With the strength to carry on

And you cast your fears aside

And you know you can survive

So when you feel like hope is gone

Look inside you and be strong

And you'll finally see the truth

That a hero lies in you."

My voice starts to crack and my breathing gets harder by the minute, but I keep on singing.

"It's a long, road

When you face the world alone

No one reaches out a hand

For you to hold

You can find love

If you search within yourself

And the emptiness you felt

Will disappear."

I don't bother singing the rest. My tears are running down Ross's lifeless chest. "C-c-come back. Home where you belong."

"K-K-Kate?"

"ROSS!" I scream, squeezing him.

"You're squeezing the blood out of me," Ross says.

I quickly release Ross. "I'm so sorry! What do you need? Do you need to drink water or something to eat or-or-or..."

"I need you to stop my blood," Ross says sarcastically.

I jump and and cut a portion of an aloe plant off. Squeezing its liquid out, I cover Ross's wounds with it.

"Ahhh..." Ross sighs in relief. "That's better. Now I need to sleep."

I nod eagerly and carry Ross to the hammock. Ross's eyes flutter shut and I sit down, sighing in relief.

All of a sudden Ross's eyes open again. "I need a teddy bear." He extends his arms out, wincing.

I roll my eyes and climb onto the hammock next to him. Ross closes his grip around me, buries his head into my hair, and falls asleep.