Chapter 8

"So why are we in this cave again?" Ross asks.

"It's shelter and it's right next to a good source of water," I answer.

"You know, it's sorta cold in here," Ross says. He wraps his arms around my waist from behind and pulls me close. "Much better."

I giggle but keep on walking. 

"AM NIM GAH KEE WAH TE GOON YAH!" A strong voice bellows out, the vibration bouncing through the walls of the caves. There was also the noise of the banging of drums and the shaking of a rattle.

"Did you hear that?" Ross whispers in my ear, his head resting on my shoulder.

"Naw, I didn't hear that FREAKING LOUD VOICE!" I snap back.

"ANN MIK GOON PAY SAH KEE YAH!" It sounds like some sort of foreign language.

I point to a beam of light. "Maybe other people are stranded on this island too! Maybe we can help each other."

Suddenly the singing and the music stops. "WHO'S THERE?" a loud voice bellows.

Ross hugs me even tighter and I stop breathing, afraid he'll hear me.

"PRESENT YOURSELF!" the voice yells in a commanding tone. "NOW! OR FOREVER REGRET IT!"

"What do we do?" Ross whispers.

I take a deep breath and step into the light, Ross's arms still wrapped around me. "Hello."

The room was full of men wearing tattered clothes made of various animal skins. They look like the haven't eaten in months. They had long hair, long nails, and long mustaches and beards. The one playing the drums removes the drum from his lap and steps in front of me.

"Who are you and why are you here?" the man asks. He had long white hair a a long beard, with dark skin and dull blue eyes which seems gray under the poor lighting of the cave.

"I-I-I'm Kate and this is..." I struggle to think of a word. "My partner Ross. We're here because our plane crashed next to the lake, and we're stranded."

"It's been so long since we've had a couple of youngsters," the one shaking the rattle pipes up. The others mutter in agreement.

I narrow my eyes. "Excuse me?"

The drums man runs a hand down my hair. I slap it away "Don't touch me," I say angrily.

"YEAH! ONLY I CAN DO THAT!" Ross pipes up.

"Shut up," I tell him.

The drums man chuckles. "Well well well, a couple of feisty ones."

"WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT?" I ask in a loud voice.

"You mean you don't know who we are? But we're famous in these parts." The bearded man clutches his heart, pretending to be hurt.

"Ha. Ha," I say dryly. "Tell us who you are."

"We're cannibals."