Chapter 2

Slowly, I blink my eyes. I manage to open one eye, but the other eye is swollen shut. Smacking my lips a few times, I notice it's dry. I lean myself against a tree. From the looks of the hot weather and the many birds, it's easy to tell we're in an African jungle.

The memory of the crash comes rushing back. Ross! I stand up and fall back onto my bottom again. I am too weak to walk. Slowly and carefully, I crawl back to the plane. Many people have limbs sticking out in weird directions or is bleeding. Some people don't have any blood whatsoever, but are dead because of internal bleeding. That was the best way to go.

"Ross!" I say. My voice is a hoarse whisper. "Ross!" I try to say again. No luck. I crawl into our cabin, coughing from the smoke.

"Help!" a hoarse voice calls out. "I'm stuck!" It's Ross!

I quickly crawl over to the voice. Ross had an arm stuck in the carry-on baggage storage. His feet were stuck under a pile of chairs. Using all my strength, I roll away the chairs and pry his arm loose. Both of his legs were broken, while mine were only sprained.

"Okay," I whisper. "I'm going to carry you on my back. Do not move."

Ross nods and swallows hard. I prop his bloody body on my back and crawl out of the plane. I set him down next to a tree and examine him closely.

His eyes were fine, unlike mine. Both of his knees were scraped, and there was a gash running across his forehead. His arms had a few scrapes here and there, but it was mostly fine. His chest though, it had a big piece of skin missing. His clothes were torn and tattered, just like mine.

"It'll be okay," I whisper to him, even though I'm not sure myself. Thankfully we landed right next to a lake.

I squint my eyes and crawl next to the lake. The trip itself takes me ten minutes, even though there is only about 50 yards between the tree and the lake. Once I get there, I realize I have no cup. I slump down onto the ground, defeated, when an idea strikes me.

"Why do I have to do this?" I groan. I take off my bra and scoop water into the cups. I bite my lower lip to keep myself from gagging.

I crawl back to the tree and slowly work some water on Ross's wounds. I take some leaves from the tree and spit into them, then covering it onto Ross's wounds.

After Ross is patched up, he opens his eyes. And that is when I collapse.