Chapter Twenty-Four

Hello my fellow readers.  These next few chappies are kinda short, sorry about that.  I was thinking about making them into one chapter instead of two, but it is more suspesful this way.  Dun dun dun.  I know I'm done writing, but I still love to hear what you guys thinks, so don't forget to

Comment

Vote

Fan

________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

            The pain didn’t hit at first.  It started as nothing more than a sting, but as it continued the absent ache became more excruciating.  It turned from a gnat to a python in a matter of seconds.  I couldn’t tell how long they held the metal to the skin, and I wouldn’t want to for fear that it was nothing longer than a ten second span, because it brought with it a torture of lengthened hours.

            Tears were streaking down my cheeks as I glared at the monster in front of me, the one who had tucked me in at night, the one who had scared the monsters out of the closet, the one who had murdered my mother. 

            The man pulled away the metal stick that he had used to brand me, but I refused to look down.  I didn’t want to see it.  My skin felt so raw, so absent and numb.  It felt more as if I had just finished icing it than burning it away.  Tears streaked my cheeks anyways.

            “Now,” my dad said with a smile.  “That wasn’t so hard now was it?” I reeled back and I spat at him.  He frowned and wiped it off of his face.  “I changed your diapers hun…but I deserved that.”

            “No shit.” He blinked at me.  Yeah, I did just swear to my father’s face.  A year ago, no, a day ago I never would have even thought about it, but now I was changed.  My innocence was gone and my true instincts were coming through.

            The man who had branded me placed the metal stick back into the fire. 

            “Leave us.” My dad said as he stood up before me, no longer crouching down as if he was talking to a six year old.  The man did as told and left the room, closing the heavy door softly behind him.

            “Now what?” I asked my dad, not quite sure why he needed me exactly, why he didn’t just leave me out of all of this and keep the secrets to himself.  It wasn’t like I knew anything.  More so, it wasn’t like I wanted to know anything.

            “Now, I get to let you in on my secrets.” I take that back.  I stared at him intently, maybe my psycho father wasn’t as sly as he thought.

            Luke was practically quaking with the mixture of fear and adrenaline as he hid behind one of the large cement support pillars.  The concrete square extended all of the way to the ceiling nearly four stories above him.  He followed it with his eyes, seeing the fire escape like platform running around it near the top, about three stories worth of distance up.  He had to get Parker and Charlene out of here.  He gulped, knowing full well that it wouldn’t be an easy task.

            After his mad dash Parker had been taken, and so had Charlene.  Even in her disheveled state she had looked rather stunning.  He also took notice of how beat she looked, tired and on edge. 

            Luke shook his head, clearing it.  He had to think and he had to think fast.  He turned ever so slightly, looking passed the pillar and to the small boxed off room that was in the far corner of the building.  As strange as it was, looking passed the pillar now reminded him of looking back on Charlene doing gymnastics.  He couldn’t help but to smile at the memory.  Of course, his water bottle had ruined that.  He wiped his sweaty hands on his pant legs.  He had to be silent.